This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
There have been some other threads on fuel starvation on this forum recently, but to get the motion lotion where it's needed you need the following.

1. A clear breather hole in the tank filler cap;
2. A free-flowing petrol tap.
3. A fuel hose which isn't kinked or blocked

You can check these by undoing the pipe at the carburettor, opening the tap and seeing how freely the petrol gushes out and into whatever container you have to hand and for how long. A clogged tap filter or faulty tap won't get you very far.

3. A free-flowing feed into the carb.

With the fuel hose reconnected and the carb float bowl removed, turn the fuel on again, if it pours out of the carb you know the petrol is at least getting into the carb.

4. a clear start circuit in the carb body, see my last post on this thread, you might need to remove the carb, strip it and possibly get it ultrasonically cleaned.

A.
By David Crossley
As a first time Royal Enfield owner I would like to thank everyone for making me feel welcome, plus I did manage to get my none runner up and running again. One of the pushrods and unseated. We are ready to start rolling once I have sidecar fitted. I'm looking for frame brackets if anyone knows anyone with some. Thanks again everyone.
Attachments
IMG_20190721_084350_807.jpg
By Adrian
Glad it was easily fixed.

If a used set doesn't show up, Watsonian-Squire must have some. Besides their sidecar manufacturing, they were the Royal Enfield importers at the time of the Electra-X models, and I believe they fitted quite a few Electra-X and other Bullet models with sidecars.

Do you plan to lower the gearing for sidecar use? The standard 18T gearbox sprocket leaves it a little over-geared for solo use, never mind lugging a sidecar around. 16T will give you a 5.3 to 1 overall gearing in top.

A.
By David Crossley
Adrian wrote:Glad it was easily fixed.

If a used set doesn't show up, Watsonian-Squire must have some. Besides their sidecar manufacturing, they were the Royal Enfield importers at the time of the Electra-X models, and I believe they fitted quite a few Electra-X and other Bullet models with sidecars.

Do you plan to lower the gearing for sidecar use? The standard 18T gearbox sprocket leaves it a little over-geared for solo use, never mind lugging a sidecar around. 16T will give you a 5.3 to 1 overall gearing in top.

A.
I will look into that Adrian for sure thanks for the heads up on that.
By Adrian
Our hosts actually have Avon sidecar Triple Duty 3.50 x 19 tyres in stock, for front as well as rear wheels. Check for clearance on the Electra-X front mudguard, as they're a slightly wider section than a solo 3.25" or 90/90 section tyre.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles