This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By weedsy
Hi - Weedsy in trouble again - I only wanted to check the gearbox oil level on the "new" bike . . . it's not the right gearbox checked against our host's parts list. It's stamped HDX728 (but the 72 could be overstamped on top of an original 27 for the first two numbers, both are legible. A later 350 Bullet 'box has been suggested.
Three problems - I don't know what the contents should be (grease/oil mixture, 20/50 to top up as per our hosts?) but more importantly, it doesn't seem to have a level plug in any of the locations (right or left of the casing) shown in the various gearbox parts illustrations I have found - and finally, what if I need parts???
Hope someone can help . . . .
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg
By vince
Hi, from the position of the filler cap which if further back than normal, there should be a dipstick attached to it. Normally the box was filled with grease/oil on assembly then subsequently topped up with oil. Vince.
Hi Vince - thanks for that - I've got our hosts looking to identify the 'box; apparently, HDX 278 could be the correct 'box. 728 could be a corrected stamping error I'm waiting for confirmation. In the meantime, I'll be hotfoot over the garage this evening ready to feel a right prat for not thinking of a dipstick (but like one!)
The lube thing reminds me of packing Burman gearboxes with grease and then oil in days long gone by - then just oil for topping up. Thanks again, Weedsy
Update for Vince - spot on! Allan at our hosts confirmed the box HDX278 is the probably the right one for my Super Meteor, and has a dipstick attached to the filler plug. I had discounted this possibility because I was looking at parts lists for other gearboxes and thought a dipstick would foul the internals . . . . too clever for my own good! :oops:
No oil showing on the dipstick, so will top up with 20/50 for the moment until mixing up some oil/grease, draining and refilling. Apparently, there's often a leak from the kickstart shaft, so that may need sorting as well . . . . thanks very much for your help.
Cheers, Weedsy

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles