This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By black fingernail
I have been busy preparing the bike ( 1998 500 Bullet) for it's MOT test, my method is to start at the front and work back, I haven't got past the steering head yet. Not a lot was tight, the 'wedge' that locks the bearing adjuster is missing, (on order).
My problem is, what I thought was play in the steering , turned out to be play in the front brake backplate, where it 'dovetails' onto the fork leg.
Anything missing that shims it up? or is this normal? will I need to devise a repair?
By vince
Hi, if the backplate moves back on forth at the slot check if the fork leg is right home. If ok then the play can be taken up with a shim made from a strip of alloy or even cardboard! Fit on the bottom run where it will not take the load when braking. Vince
By PeteF
Well I wouldn't use cardboard - first rain shower and it's gone :D
All the old bullets have a bit of play there and it's not usually a problem.
If it's bugging you just shim it with a bit of alloy. You could probably glue it in place.
By black fingernail
Thanks all, I'll check carefully, if it is 'home' properly, then I'll shim it up.
My CDO* won't allow it.

*it should be OCD, but in alphabetical order!
By black fingernail
Over the weekend, I stripped the front brake to make it work properly, also, I thought I would have a look at the play between the backplate and the leg. This of course meant removing the front wheel.
First off, the cap nuts weren't very tight, and the caps were on the wrong legs, they did not quite line up properly. I don't know if Royal Enfield do it, but most fork legs are cast in one piece, bored, then the cap is cut off, so it should fit together as one.
When the wheel was replaced, with everything back as it should be, and tight, there is now very little play.
Job done.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles