This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mike82
Hi, I return to this forum after a break of 11 yrs and now return to Enfields I have a new Interceptor and just purchased a 1996 Royal Enfield Bullet 500.
It’s the Bullet I need help with..
It has the 2 screws missing that hold the petrol cap to the tank, and the petrol cap has no key any ideas where and what I need please?
Also,
The exhaust keeps pulling and smoking out of the cylinder head, is this a case of removing and gum gum around the exhaust and cylinder head and maybe open the exhaust a touch to make tighter fit?
And finally ( bet it won’t be the last question🤪🤪) how does the light switch hold into the headlight nacelle this ones been glued in yuk!,
Thanks in advance,
Mike
By Rushour
A 1996 Bullet would of been fitted with a push and turn cap - if yours has a flip cap then it has been fitted with a later tank - I am sure if you email pics to our hosts they will be able to help. Light switch is held on with a rubber ring - usually a tight fit. Exhaust smoking ? could be anything from over full with oil to a worn engine.
By Andy C
Firstly welcome back - I came back into the fold aroind last September when I bought my old 612 back.

The smoking issue surley has to be worn rings / bore / valve guides, or possibly overfilling, or oil leaking past the scavenge pump - does it only smoke on startup ro does it smoke all the time?

If it keeps pulling out then maybe a little adjustment (ok bending) of the exhaust bracket might help.

Just a few thoughts.
By Mike82
Thanks Andy,
The smoke was due to the bike not being started for 4 years smoke now gone, I’ve swaged open the exhaust pipe, put some exhaust paste around it and put some clear sealant over the pasted joint,that now seems to be ok.
Phoned the Hitchcocks guys this morning, wow how helpful those guys are, answered all my questions.
Gonna tidy this bike up, replace points, condenser air filter, oil etc. etc. See how it goes.
Did like my bullet65 back in 2005 will see how this iron barrel 1996 bullet performs.
Not sure I like seeing the mess which shows the rectifier under the saddle, but with a dual seat it may look better.
By Andy C
Mike - good that you sorted the exhaust problems.

I know what you mean about the wiring mess, mine being based on a Watsonian Clubmans is slightly different to yours, but on mine I re located the rectifier / regulator for the exactly the same reason - to hide the wiring mess.

When I bought my 612 back it had been neglected and I was wondering whether I had done the right thing buying it back, after a lot of effort I know I made the right decision - looks like you may be in a similar place with your bike.

Hope it all works out OK

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles