This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PO51UHD
Hello All
I read a comment recently that someone was thinking of going up a tooth on the gearbox sprocket to increase the gearing. I’m considering this too and wonder what is involved. Is the shiny gearbox cover on the near side just a cosmetic cover over the sprocket and is therefore an easy job, or is there more to it...?
Thanks
By Rushour
Hi,

It is that simple and I have gone up one tooth on mine but I dont think its an advantage - I am going to go back to stock and compare.
By PO51UHD
Hello Rushour, thanks for your reply, glad to hear it’s an easy job; interesting - not an advantage how? Mine seems quite revvy, so especially with so many gears I figured higher gearing would help. Does the extra tooth make it labour?
Thanks
By PO51UHD
Hello Rushour, thanks for your reply, glad to hear it’s an easy job; interesting - not an advantage how? Mine seems quite revvy, so especially with so many gears I figured higher gearing would help. Does the extra tooth make it labour?
Thanks
By Breezin
I've seen a couple of reviews in which the speed achieved is higher in 5th gear than in 6th, which seems counter-intuitive. One reviewer suggested that this confirmed that the 6th was intended as an overdrive.

I don't claim to know exactly what that means in engineering terms, but my uneducated take on it is that the gearing is high enough as it is.
By Rushour
I agree with the previous post by Breezin - felt like it needed it but when I did the change it felt too much and the engine does not seem so lively now.
By PeteF
It's not unusual for a bike to go faster in the "second to top" gear. I have an old Honda which does just that.
If this is the case with the Inter then there is no advantage in making the gearing any taller unless you really want to potter.
By sofiaspin
I recently bought a 2016 very low mileage (800) GT 535 and find that I am in 4th most of the time, with 5th being a bit treacly and more of an overdrive which seems a bit pedestrian, and the front is I believe an 18th sprocket - so it stays as it is. I recently fitted an 18th sprocket on my 2018 Classic Chrome and it still has urge in 5th and I feel a 19th sprocket would be a better option. Odd how very similar bikes behave differently in top gear!
By Leon Novello
I have mentioned this before, the easiest way to check if the bike is over-geared is to get on a long quiet road, get into top gear and see if the engine can reach peak-power revs, if nothing exiting happens when you wind on the throttle, it is over-geared. This is particularly noticeable when a sidecar is fitted to a bike already high geared.
By Adrian
Unless you had a bike with a more powerful engine, sidecar use normally called for a lower gearing "back in the day", usually by fitting a smaller gearbox sprocket.

Haven't seen any of the new Interceptors fitted with sidecars yet...

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles