This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By papasmurf
Cov Lad wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:17 am
papasmurf wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 pm
I am surprised the starter works at all with a low powered battery like that. The specified is 14AH, I have a 15AH solid state battery that has far more cranking amps than the original.
Papa smurf, do you have an electra? If so can you let me know details of your battery, I would prefer more power and it'd be good to know that it fits into the bike. Off for mot now.

Yes I do have an Electra X (ish) but I suggest consulting our hosts parts catalogue they have suitable powerful batteries.
I imported a VERY powerful solid state battery from America which cost an arm and a leg, and I had to move the terminals to the side from the top because it is a tight fit against the top frame member on the positive terminal.
I also have it insulated from touching the frame with a bit of a tractor tyre rear inner tube.
I took that route because my modifications lowering the bike to fit my little legs mean the battery sits at a significant backwards angle which I didn't think a good idea for a standard lead liquid acid battery.
By Adrian
This is where anyone with a sidecar fitted has an advantage, they could do what my late father did with his BMW R80/7 and Squire outfit, ditch the motorcycle battery and fit a s*dding great car battery in the boot of the sidecar. Never any starting problems after that.

But well done papasmurf for that bit of lateral thinking.

The Mottbatt made a big difference to my Electra-X's starting after two conventional lead-acid batteries failed, it will be enough to get Cov Lad sorted without him having to re-site his terminals, though the standard 14AH battery is a tight enough fit as it is. The Motobatt does however come with different terminal mounting options to make fitting a little easier.

Another option would be one of our hosts' whizzy but expensive new lithium ion batteries, they have one for electric start Bullets, but you'd have to go and buy it over the counter (change in postage regulations).

A.
By Cov Lad
I managed to get my bike mot'd, its now done about 40 miles without trouble. I have also disconnected the handlebar heater from my tiny battery. My battery is kicking out 13.16 volts and then 14.28 with engine running. I also came across a newish battery bought for my neglected BMW but it was far too big.

I will go for the yellow battery suggested by Adrian, i can you recommend a dealer for this battery Adrian, I used to use a company in Coventry, near red lane, but would prefer to get it posted.
By Cov Lad
Adrian my BMW is an R80RT which I hope to get back on the road one day, my dad would have done the same type of thing with the car battery. The BMW battery is huge, I will order the yellow battery tomorrow. Thanks for the brilliant information. It was great having a burn today and gave me more confidence in the electra, i also think removing the electra detail from the side coverings helped.
Cov Lad wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:53 pm
I managed to get my bike mot'd, its now done about 40 miles without trouble. I have also disconnected the handlebar heater from my tiny battery. My battery is kicking out 13.16 volts and then 14.28 with engine running. I also came across a newish battery bought for my neglected BMW but it was far too big.

I will go for the yellow battery suggested by Adrian, i can you recommend a dealer for this battery Adrian, I used to use a company in Coventry, near red lane, but would prefer to get it posted.
I suspect the battery from my BMW K75S would start a very large truck engine. (It is also quicker to take the crankshaft out than to check the level of fluid in the battery.)
Adrian wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

But well done papasmurf for that bit of lateral thinking.

I fitted a similar type of battery to my wife's VS800 Suzuki Intruder. It takes a workshop lift to check the battery unless crawling around on the garage floor is a hobby. So a solid state battery was the way to go, it is also far more powerful than the standard one.
I had to fit extra connectors to that battery to turn them through 90 degrees. I also packed out the battery box with tractor rear tyre inner tube to stop the battery from rattling about. (It does that with the standard battery.)
By Adrian
i also think removing the electra detail from the side coverings helped.
There's obviously some sort of weird psychology going on here.

The Motobatt is quite a tight fit but it will go on/in, just remember to sort out the terminal options that come with the battery so that you avoid any chance of the terminals shorting on the frame tube or the side panel. Follow papasurf's example and use extra insulation if necessary.

A.
By Cov Lad
A massive box arrived today with the yellow battery, it is now on the bike and hooked up to the accumate charger as I think it was not fully charged. Both old and new batteries are now kicking out 13 + volts. Thanks for the brilliant advice and information Adrian and co, i don't know how I coped before the internet.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles