This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mike A
Hi Everyone
Have had a number of classic 500 EFI's over the years but had the chance to get a brand new Conti 535 in Black for a very good price.
Have fitted the Hitchcock's Goldie style pipe, air filter cover modification and have changed plugs and caps for NGK items all supplied from the good people at Hitchcock's.
Took bike out today to fill up an was bliss, lovely note from engine, and so much more refined that the bullets i have had, however stalled the bike driving onto my gravel drive. Restarted engine an now MIL is permanently illuminated. Never had this on my other Bullets even with exhaust changes and performance filters. Have contacted the dealer as there are a few other bits not happy with, such as oxidised bolts and master cyclinder that is rusting!! Do you think the stall and the resulting jolt could have made something work loose, have had a look around bike and cant see anything obvious and bike runs and starts 100%, just the light is bugging me...
Apologies for the essay but my feel good factor has diminished :)

Cheers and happy riding
By sofiaspin
Ah..........is yours Euro 4 by any chance?
If so.....I have had several Bullets, then bought a 2018 Efi Euro 4 Classic. Motad silencer, K&N and ran it........until it started to misbehave, leak petrol from the excess vapour box under the chassis, MiL light, etc then it just stopped. The problem was Euro 4 is far more sensitive to any significant mods. Only solution - the ONLY solution - is a power commander, or go back to stock and suffer an overweight silencer. If its Euro 3, you can do as you have done without any real issues - and I have done on my Euro 3 Conti 535 (ie Motad silencer).
By Mike A
Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.....
Have seen a few other Euro 4 bikes that seem to have the mods that are ok, and tbh the bike seems to be running fine...
Dont want to go down the power commander route as it seems a huge cost for something that costs pennies probably to make :) It was strange as bike was 100% fine until stalled, i presume the light only comes on once has been stopped and restarted...
If i did fit it would the MIL light go out or does this have to be done by a dealer?
Cheers Everyone
Mike
By Haggis
The mil light is telling that the ECU is seeing a fault with one of the bikes sensors.
Manual suggests trying two or three start up cycles to recalibrate the system??!
Also you can earth the ECU check wire to narrow down which sensor or its connectors are causing the fault.
MIL will glow continuous. Engine will start but not perform to its potential
Long 0 Short 6 Throttle position sensor Malfunction
Long 0 Short 9 Manifold Air Pressure sensor Malfunction
Long 1 Short 2 Engine oil temperature sensor Malfunction
Long 1 Short 3 Intake Air temperature sensor Malfunction
Long 1 Short 7 O2/HEGO Sensor Malfunction
Long 4 Short 5 O2 Sensor heater circuit Malfunction
Long 5 Short 4 EXAI Circuit Malfunction
By Mike A
Morning Haggis

Up nice and early!!

Tried cycling through the startup at least 20 times now :)
Even tried the reset procedure as noted elsewhere, and have had a look over most of the connectors.
Galling thing is bike is running absolutely fine....no misfires, stalling or anything.
Running stock filter and only mod is the venturi air filter cover and free flox exhaust.....seems a pain to have to spend £500 on power commander to get rid of a light!
Cant find the wire to ground to get the MIL to flash......any pointers as to where it may be?

Thanks
Mike
By stinkwheel
sofiaspin wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 am
Mine is located in Glasgow so it may well be that the cleaner air is the root cause :shock:
Maybe it's sooked in a midge?

Just a suggestion because I know next to nothing about FI systems and modern ECUs BUT have you tried turning it off then on again? Works for many other electronic things. By that I mean disconnecting the battery overnight then reconnecting it.

Do these things have a diagnostic port like on a car? Because I seem to recall the actual thing you plug in isn't all that expensive for a car, then you could download software onto a laptop to let you read fault codes and reset warning lights. I used to have to take my vito van in every couple of weeks to get the ECU light turned off, not even Mercedes could work out why it kept going into limp mode.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles