This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Thanks Adrien.

I've found an interesting error. The electrics still work when the ignition switch is not connected!

I believe I have an earth on the distributor as I have connected my multi-meter to the engine and points, condenser and distributor. I presume this is not right? What do you suggest?
Well, you should be able to turn the lights on and off and beep the horn whether the ignition is on or off, that's just how they were wired. The requirement for everything to be dependent on the ignition switch was a later American requirement which eventually became more common.

I'm guessing that the ignition itself only works with it turned on, if you're getting sparks with the ignition switch off you've either mis-wired it or someone has slipped into your garage and fitted a magneto... As far as I know, the distributor/points assembly earths through its metal body where it bolts to the engine, the only low-tension wire going into it - originally - is the one from the coil.

A.
ShaunE wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:37 pm
Hello all,

Newbie to this forum having just bought a ‘59 Super Meteor last Tuesday.

I bought my Super Meteor from a bloke that had converted it from 6v to 12v. It is a 1957 model but sports the later Lucas Dizzy and not the original so I assume they are a compatible swap. My ignition switch has been positioned on the front of the air-box/tool box, which also contains the 3 ohm coil, solid state rectifier and capacitor (with a spare capacitor fitted also) There is plenty of room in there as long as you can do without an air filter! I have been running this set up for over twenty years and 50K miles now without a hitch until yesterday when the coil overheated due to massive gap on eroded rotor arm and distributor cap. I am new on here and can't figure out how to add photos as of now, but as soon as I do I will post photos of my 12V ignition setup. You are very welcome to look at my setup I am in South Yorkshire
Use a picture-hosting web site such as ImgBB. Upload your picture there, find the list of codes for sharing on different social media, and select the full-size BBCode. Copy that and paste into your message.

OTHERWISE - there's an upload attachment tab below the box where you type your message. Click on it and then the Add files button. Find wherever your computer has the picture file and select, make sure the Place inline thingy with the white tick in the little green circle is there, preview and if happy, submit.

Voilà.

A.
Attachments
Hybrid.JPG

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles