This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Charlie bob
Hy all just wondered if any body out there has the same problem on my b5 euro4 efi bullet 2017 have fitted free flow downpipe and Goldstar silencer does anybody find it is a bit to loud when you open it up l have the baffle in it is the 8 in one has anybody wraped baffle with wire wool and does it work and bike runs well or do you have any ideas to make it quitter thankyou charles
By Presto
The free-flowing ‘silencers’ (!) aren’t quiet, especially when accelerating hard on a Bullet. Fact is you either have a ‘free-flowing’ (loud) silencer or you have a quieter silencer (long and heavily baffled). But where silencers are concerned you can’t have your cake and eat it.

And don’t forget the ‘noise cameras’ are on the way!!
By Adrian
Yes, they are.

The best silencers, in my inflated opinion, are the baffled type which open thing up just enough to help the exhaust flow a bit better with the risk of being 'orribly loud. You want a nice blat, not a bellow. I think many of our hosts' silencers are going to need extra mutes...

The Indian "short bottle" silencers used to be a good compromise.

A.
By stinkwheel
In fairness, I think Z-flow baffles* work best to restrict noise while allowing efficient gas egress. But I don't think any of the ones available for enfields are of that type?

My 612 blew all the wadding out of one of our hosts reverse cone megas within its first 100 miles.

*The header extends well into the silencer box, maybe 70% of the full length, the outflow pipe for the sliencer also extends into the box a similar distance, the two pipes overlap so gas has to enter the silencer box, exit the main pipe and do a 360 degree turn to get into the exit pipe. There is little resistance but the "crack" of a straight through silencer is significantly reduced.
By ChrisD
Charlie Bob. I would suggest not to place any wirewool in the exhaust. The wire wool will get brittle, will fragment and will get pushed out in small pieces. If the silencer is running hot, you will be firing redhot glowing wire wool at the guy behind you! Been there, done that. Rather use longstrand fibreglass or the correct silencer material. Even stainless wire (as in kitchen scourers) does no noise reduction. Cheers, ChrisD
By Presto
Stuffing wire wool up the silencer of an EFI isn't a good idea - apart from anything else, it will create excessive back-pressure and that will cause the sensors to malfunction. It'll also do nothing for the performance of the engine anyway.

The use of any baffle or baffle material that will reduce the dynamic level significantly will create back-pressure and upset the sensors. Things ain't what they used to be! Either fit an after-market silencer designed and developed for the EFI engine or leave the original one in place.
Free-flowing or quiet - it's one or the other.
By Charlie bob
Just to let you know l wrapped the baffle on my Goldstar silencer with glass fibermat and it works great takes the loud high note of leaving a great sounding note not to loud and the engine runs absolutlely fine

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles