This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By weedsy
Hi - just bought a Super Meteor ("Trailblazer" back from the 'States) - are there any particular issues with replacing the grips on this type of fitment? I've never come across one before (don't laugh, I hadn't seen a neutral selector either . . .)
Second catch (!) is that I want to fit a bar-end mirror and the handlebar doesn't go right to the outer end of the twistgrip; so I can either have a dipping mirror (!) every time I select main beam (always assuming the throttle sleeve is man enough to take the expansion fitment on the mirror - risky) - or move the twistgrip further inboard, which pushes the clutch cable into an uncomfortable curve into the headlamp shell . . . any suggestions?
By Adrian
Could you use a normal twistgrip barrel as part of the Britax dip switch? Or just use a normal dip switch? The Britax is only an accessory, after all.

Don't forget we like to see photos of these bikes.

A.
By weedsy
Hi Davdup - photo? Don't know, will try . . . .

Hi Adrian - I like the idea of the Britax, hardly any movement at all to get dip/main change or flash to main, I'd like to keep it if poss.

Hi Stinkwheel - seems a logical answer, I'm measuring mine and checking Hitchcock's bars at the moment.

The problem stems from the fact that the switch portion of the Britax (hope the pic posts OK) is about 4.5cms wide; the overhang of the twistgrip portion over the bar end is 3.5cm, so removing the Britax switch and replacing it with a standard-type one would put everything back in place. If I wasn't in France, I'd be fitting the mirror on the other side and wouldn't have this problem!
Thanks for the help - off to look at standard switches now . . . .
Attachments
IMG_1165 2.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
By stinkwheel
I have the exact same "clock" on mine.

For what it's worth I fitted the bars part: 34625 to my latest bullet project which gave ample room to fit grips, bar-ends a choke lever, a modern bolt-on hydraulic master cylinder AND Japanese switchgear.
By weedsy
Thanks, Stinkwheel - that's exactly what I ordered yesterday! I really wanted to keep the Britax switch and it seemed the only way . . .
By weedsy
Hi Adrian - thanks for the French link, I'll try it for the next question that needs an answer.
That will be "How do I get the front brakes to work?" I'm coming back to old bikes after a long lay-off - this Enfield and Velo's/Vincents weren't that old last time I rode them! So I'd forgotten what old brakes were like, compared to four-pot Brembo's (but I'm sure the Rapide wasn't as bad as this one, and the dual leading shoe arrangements on the Enfield should be somewhere near as good, surely?)
I'll be posting this as a new thread on this forum shortly, as soon as the handlebar mods are done . . . .

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles