This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Cov Lad
I have been informed that the pulsar coil can be a possible cause of loss of spark at ht lead. I wonder if anyone has experience of this?
By Adrian
I'm guessing papasmurf means that you should physically check that they haven't come undone or been damaged!

The only trouble I had with the pulsar coil on mine was when I fitted an aftermarket TCI black box and hadn't worked out the correct connections. Soon sorted. As for normal use I've not heard of anyone having problems with them. Same coil (or similar) is used with the EFI Bullets.

A.
By Cov Lad
It was suggested by a Hitchcock's member of staff as possible cause for loss of spark. I inspected them and gave them a spray of servisol. I couldn't see anything wrong. My Electra Service manual suggests checking the resistance with a multimeter. I need to gen up on how to do this and then give it a go.
By Adrian
Just a thought, what spark plug cap does yours have? If it's the metal-clad factory original it might be worth replacing it with an NGK version. Suppressed (red) for plain spark plugs, un-suppressed (black) for resisitor spark plugs.

A.
By Cov Lad
I did have a black NGK type fitted. Since breaking down I fitted an inline plug tester which lights up to show a spark is being produced. The bike is starting fine at the moment. I will try and give it a short spin tomorrow. My dilemma is that I need to MOT the bike but need it reliable enough to get to the bike shop.
By papasmurf
Adrian wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am
I'm guessing papasmurf means that you should physically check that they haven't come undone or been damaged!

The only trouble I had with the pulsar coil on mine was when I fitted an aftermarket TCI black box and hadn't worked out the correct connections. Soon sorted. As for normal use I've not heard of anyone having problems with them. Same coil (or similar) is used with the EFI Bullets.

A.
That is exactly what I mean. Just disconnecting and reconnecting the connector blocks and connections can solve a lot of problems. (Especially if you have been rummaging about in the vicinity.)
By Cov Lad
I .have been away for a while, not had chance to have another go at it yet. Despite fidling with wires and turning handlebars the bike keeps starting though.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles