This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
My CGT535 EuroIV came with a straight through Megaphone silencer, which in my opinion is too loud. I tried fitting an aftermarket exhaust baffle but it killed the top end power and the engines free-revving nature it also increased vibration and I lost 10 mph off the top speed.
1. Is it possible to buy a quite free flowing exhaust?
2. Is there another way of improving performance with a quiet restrictive exhaust.

Thanks
Chris H.
See if our hosts still have their system as that is not too loud and works well.
I have a euro 3 bike with stainless exhaust and silencer but that is reverse cone and has a lovely sound .
DSC_1401_1_resized.JPG
Your question touches on the problem of a free-flowing exhaust that's also quiet. These two requirements seem to cancel out each other. Its either free-flowing or it has noise reducing baffling.
There are other ways to increase performance - cams, big bore cylinder, higher compression piston, free-flowing air filter, etc.
To some degree these mods will be compromised by a restrictive silencer but will improve performance of the 535.
If the exhaust gasflow has been changed, the fuel mixture will also need to be changed.

A Euro 4 with a megaphone will most likely have been fitted with a power commander to set the fuel injection up to run properly with the less restrictive pipe.

So it would also need to be remapped to suit a slightly more restrictive pipe. Just like you'd need to re-jet a carb under the same circumstances. Our hosts sell power commanders pre-loaded with various maps on so they may be able to talk you through uploading a replacement map to suit your preferred setup, especially if you bought the pipe off them.

Or go on the power commander website and see what maps are available to download for your bike.
Thanks, your megaphone looks very smaller than mine, maybe I am worrying too much about the noise.
2018-11-11 15.55.20.jpg
[img]2018-11-11 15.55.20.jpg/img]

RocketRR wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm
See if our hosts still have their system as that is not too loud and works well.
I have a euro 3 bike with stainless exhaust and silencer but that is reverse cone and has a lovely sound .DSC_1401_1_resized.JPG
It does not have a Power Commander fitted yet. It has the original EuroIV ECU with Oxygen Sensor (Lambda) still fitted. So performance is presumably being increased over the original stock exhaust, by reducing the back pressure.
Other people have told me that Euro IV ECUs are more complex than the Euro 3 versions and more able to adjust fueling when things like back pressures are varied. I am considering your suggestion of fitting Power Commander but I would like to know if it will still increase power with a quiet exhaust.
Thanks
Chris H.
stinkwheel wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:09 pm
If the exhaust gasflow has been changed, the fuel mixture will also need to be changed.

A Euro 4 with a megaphone will most likely have been fitted with a power commander to set the fuel injection up to run properly with the less restrictive pipe.

So it would also need to be remapped to suit a slightly more restrictive pipe. Just like you'd need to re-jet a carb under the same circumstances. Our hosts sell power commanders pre-loaded with various maps on so they may be able to talk you through uploading a replacement map to suit your preferred setup, especially if you bought the pipe off them.

Or go on the power commander website and see what maps are available to download for your bike.
The power commander fitted to mine changed the sound only in how the engine reacted but not in volume.
I would suspect your exhaust would be quieter than mine.
The Motad system sold by our hosts is meant to be a good compromise between flow and volume.
I would definitely get the Hitchcocks power commander as suggested earlier and get the profile that fits your bike. Pay the extra few quid and change the airfilter and airbox also.

My next step will be the crank and forged piston maybe the alloy head that's being developed by Hitchcocks at the same time.
Who wants a 650 twin when you can have a 50hp 650 single ;)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles