This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By RocketRR
Nope and we have another flat battery again.....
Removing battery to test at the dealer, most annoyingly this is my second battery in just over a year and it wasn't a cheap ebay job.
I have no drain when all off and charge is fine so why am I killing batteries.
Plus I get fed up every time it dies having to reset the clock and watch the compass flash for the next month lol
By RocketRR
Mmm battery charges and tested fine on the dealer battery tester.
Absolutely next to no draw when everything off very strange.
It now seems the Youtube chap from Alaska has the same issue with the battery draining with no explanation.
By stinkwheel
Sounds like something is coming on intermittantly then if you have only minimal resting earth leakage. I don't have a wiring diagram for one but there should be a very limited number of parts which are capable of doing that (ie have a power supply that doesn't pass through the ignition switch). My dad once had a renault that did that, the fuel pump could come on independantly of the ignition and flatten the battery over the course of a week or so.

I'm not sure how these bikes are set for fuses? If they have a few, one old trick is to replace the fuse with a bulb and holder. When the fuse is carrying current, the bulb lights up. This trick is normally used to check for a short circuit without cooking the wiring. HOWEVER, it does occurr to me that if you connected a cheap, low draw horn or buzzer where the fuse goes, it would sound when there is a current in the circuit. Assuming your bike is somewhere you could hear that, it should let you know if something is turning on by itself. If you started with the main fuse then worked down the circuits in turn, it should help narrow it down.

I've never tried this, just thought of it because the only other thing I can think of is a data logger to minitor current draw.

Oh, another thing. I have a vague memory of someone telling me about a really bizarre, unplannable-for fault with a himalayan (this was while I was drunk at a bike rally so I'm sketchy on the details) but it was something about there being a reed switch in the fuel pump assembly inside the tank and when you put a magnetic tank bag on, it played hobb with it. So if you have a magnetic tank bag on, might be worth taking it off?
By RocketRR
Well here's one for all of you Himalayan owners that have fitted Enfield Accessories usb sat nav mounts.
The on off switch that I trusted only switches off the output not the inbuilt power converter so if left long enough sits and munches thru your battery! I guess as I have two usb ports it was just enough to drain maybe one is ok.
I have no fitted discrete waterproof switches on the earth wires charged battery job done.
The drain was only really obvious using my good old Avo 8 the digital meter was not really accurate.
By RocketRR
And yet another battery, this time a really good lithium battery let's see how long this takes to discharge and die.....
By RocketRR
Wow what a difference a lithium battery makes. About 7Ib lighter than a standard battery, room for the cables and extras, a charge indicator to show battery state.

Best of all it leaps into life very day the display dash lights etc don't even dim when turning over from cold.

If you are changing battery lithium is such a good upgrade. :D
By Rushour
I have had a Lithium battery on my GT for a couple of years now - have never had to charge it even through the winter - put it on my Himalayan in the summer and after just over one month standing - its as dead as a Dodo...something on these bikes just ain't right .
By Aethelric
Rushour wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 am
I have had a Lithium battery on my GT for a couple of years now - have never had to charge it even through the winter - put it on my Himalayan in the summer and after just over one month standing - its as dead as a Dodo...something on these bikes just ain't right .
I don't know the capacity of your battery, but assuming it's around 15AH, a 20milliamp drain will flatten it in a month.
By RocketRR
I think it's an Inbuilt failure to make you ride more often come rain or shine 👍
By Duke of Wybourne.
[/quote]
I don't know the capacity of your battery, but assuming it's around 15AH, a 20milliamp drain will flatten it in a month.
[/quote]

That sounds about right. I've fitted an isolator switch, and the battery problem is solved. My compass always points East, regardless of what I do to set it up, and along with the clock, both are superfluous. If our excellent hosts supplied a standard Speedo to get rid of the unnecessary nonsense that sits behind the screen, I'll buy one. A decent GShock worn on the outside jacket cuff is fine for me, for time and direction.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles