This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
The Bullet series are always posted as needing 20W/50 oil. Does anyone here know if there is any experience of using a slightly less viscous oil? It might give the oil system a slightly easier time if scavenge pressure was too high, especially in very cold starting conditions.

(I'm not going to try it in my bike, it's fine as it is, thanks).
By stinkwheel
I genrally throw whatever is lying about in there. It doesn't stay in for long anyway. So that will usually be either 20w-50 if I've been able to find it but often 10W-40 which is what I use in my jap bikes.

I think there's probably a balance to be struck between too thick to pump around and thick enough to stay in the engine. I keep a cycling water bottle of oil on the bike for topping up after long runs. In sub-zero conditions, it is noticeably quite hard to get the oil out of said bottle and into the bike when it's 20w-50 but less-so with a lighter grade.

I do wonder if 15w-50 is a good compromise. Just as thick at operating temperature, slightly thinner in extreme cold. You can also get it cheaply for diesel engines which means it has a high detergent content and as such is probably better equipped to deal with the degree of carbon produced by our bikes. That said, are many bullets going out in sub-zero conditions? Mine is probably one of the few and even then, only a couple of times a year when I go to winter rallies, I can afford to wait for it to warm-up.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles