This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By knapdog
I have just bought my first Royal Enfield.
It's a C5 2018 Classic 500 Chrome with only 137 miles on the clock. I also own a Honda CB1300 and a Honda C90.
I had it from Thunderroad Cwmbran, South Wales and it came with the first ssrvice done as the bike is now 14 months old.
I never ride my bikes in the wet or through the winter and this will be cherished and kept in mint condition.
I have already used a polishing mop and compound on the side casings and they've started to come up to a mirror finish.
Any thoughts on "Running In"?
I have read that vibration issues can be "solved" by briefly taking the bike up to the redline for a couple of seconds occasionaly in these very early stages, whuch contradicts the manufacturer's recommendations. Anyone tried it? I think it was one of the Paul Grocock youfube video where I first saw it.
I'm also considering a smaller exhaust. By all accounts the standard is heavy and doesn't sound as great. Any recommendations?
Thank you. The bike looks stunning.
By Wheaters
I've had bikes since the early 1970s and rebuilt a few engines over the years but I've never heard that sort of advice before. I can't actually understand how it might work....

One thing I have always done is to try not to be too "delicate" with the load put on the engine (after a couple of hundred miles) because that can cause glaze on the barrel and prevent the piston rings from bedding in.
By RoSy
I ran my C5 in according to the book, there are lots of theories on how to break an engine in, I would just stick to what it says in the handbook that way there's no come back on you. But I will mention that I changed the oil&filter 3 times before it reached 1K. That gives me piece of mind, oil is cheaper than a new engine plus I think an engine runs smoother after an oil change.
By knapdog
Thanks for your replies everyone.
Btw, have just ordered the C5 Goldstar Silencer 91150B and the corresponding heatshield plusa black rear carrier. Chose the black instead of the chrome.
Has anyone any experience of the Goldstar silence? Just curious to know how many have taken the baffle out.
By Wheaters
I have a Hitchcock's Goldstar silencer on my 350 Bullet.

It is midway in loudness between the original very restrictive but muted silencer and the reverse cone megaphone I was given and tried. The megaphone was loud enough to set off car alarms down the street so I took it off again.

With the baffle out the Goldie is probably almost as loud as the megaphone. I put it back in again!
By Steve evans
I have owned a classic 500 from new and ran it in as you would expect,_ gentle at first slowly opening it up until the point where I was just riding normally from about 600 miles. In fairness I am not a fast rider and have never tried to see what it will do as I know it's limited anyway. As the engine has loosened up I think it's now running sweeter than ever at 3000+ miles, doesn't smoke or use oil and has no oil leaks. As for the exhaust I always think it looks too long and would look nicer (to me) if it had a slight lift towards the back end. I love that the note is subdued but also like to hear it barking out under load alongside a wall or under bridges. I've always had a thing about singles and think my classic is brilliant,_ just hope it keeps firing on all cylinders! Ps, went for a test on the new twin so it looks like I will now have two bikes.
By Jaystride
Hi, I’ve just joined the forum and took delivery of my Trials today! I’ve always been a BMW man...mainly GS’s and sold my R Nine T scrambler a few months ago thinking I’d give bikes a rest........then got sucked into the RE which I’ve always fancied.

Just browsing through the instruction manual and reached the Running In instructions. The speeds seem very cautious for both the first 300 miles and then up to 1200. With the BMWs the general view was not to slog at low revs and increase the top end gradually after a few hundred miles to prevent glazing of the bores and subsequent thirst for oil. Obviously very different engines but do I need to be that cautious after the initial couple of hundred miles? I never thrash an engine and prefer to run in its sweet spot....my days of thrashing sports bikes are long gone!
By PeteF
As you say, the running in speeds quoted in the book are a bit low.
Throttle opening is a lot better guide IMO.
I've just run in a C5 and used no more that 30% throttle ( put a mark on so you can check) and no more than 50mph (40 for the first 100 miles)
It's also important to let the engine cool down every half hour or so.
I did an extra oil change at 150 miles.

Incidently the first " service" is a bit of a joke. I'm convinced they just change the oil. 🤔

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles