This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Yankeedog
New to Forum and new to Enfields. Recently purchased a 2014 C5 with the intent of stripping it down to the bare essentials. Carb/EFI replacement, minimalistic in every aspect.
I am hitting a bit of a wall when it come to controlling the ignition. I would prefer a simple aftermarket electronic ignition, but the nice folks at Hitchcocks say they don't have one or know of one. Basically, I'm stuck with the Keihin black box.
Sure, I could just do what they are instructing, in the carb kit instructions. That entails re-inserting the injector and O2 sensors into the harness and stashing them someplace on the frame. But I want a clean build, a small handful of wires. I don't need a roll-over sensor and a side stand interlock , rev limiters and idiot lights to tell me I'm in neutral.
Motogadget has a PDU that has ignition control. I just don't know how or if it can be successfully connected to the crank position sensor. It seems like it could work. Has anyone tried anything like this with the post 2012 500s?
By Rushour
Hi - The very early Hitchcocks carb conversion consisted of a replacement CDI box which ran with a single sender rotor - this was superceeded later on to the version now which uses the stock ECU. It might be worth an Email to Wayne at Hitchcocks as he had a lot to do with carb conversions on early EFI bikes, the CDI is a stock unit off another model but you might have to make the harness but if he has the modified rotor what you are asking can be done.
By Adrian
So if I've got this right you want a simple TCI (not CDI, different thing altogether) ignition along the lines of the Electra-X but don't want to use the ECU, though this can be adapted for an ignition control only roles as Rushour says.

The early carb conversions from out host used an Electra-X alternator rotor and TCI box. Many of the Indian home market UCE 350s were carb fitted and stuck with this set-up, except that the stators got extra coils for more output, these are available from a certain on-line auction site. An alternative TCI box is the one for the old Suzuki GS125 as once offered by our hosts, used ones and pattern items are still around.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles