This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By DanWhite
Im having massive issues with cracking and rust on the matt black factory exhaust on my classic 500 stealth. Has anyone encountered this, have any solutions or knowledge on how to rectify it? Or should I consider replacing it with a chrome exhaust system? Thanks :)
By Leon Novello
Any paint-type coating on a hot exhaust system is doomed, even engine enamel will fail; the coating cracks, allowing moisture in and causing rust. For quality chrome make sure that the parts have been covered with three coats ,first copper ,then nickel, and finally,chrome .
By stinkwheel
I'm not entirely sure about the finish on yours but if it's a basic, black-painted, mild-steel system, they all do that mister. You just need to keep repainting them when they get too tatty. You'll need a VHT (very high temperature) paint for the front part of the header area.

The moto-x boys usually use one called PJ1.

For the slightly cooler bits (anything past the first bend), I find plastikote BBQ paint is excellent. It used to blister off the first 10" of header on my KLE500 but the rest tended to stay solid. That said, a bullet may well be running cooler.
By stinkwheel
I have the reverse cone mega on my 612 bullet. It's, well, minimalist. I've removed the baffle from mine because it blew all the wadding out within the first 100 miles of fitting it anyway. It's chrome so you'll still have to keep it clean if you don't want it to rust. On the plus side, it's also cheap so if it does rust, it can be replaced easily enough.

My one concern would be how well a vastly free-er breathing exhaust will play with the fuel injection system. You'd certainly have to significantly re-jet a carbed bike to suit. Your FI system would probably need remapping/fiddling in some way if you fitted this. Others may be able to advise you better on this point.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles