This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By singleminded
My box of bits Series 1 Interceptor came without a magneto. Has anyone substituted the magneto with electronic ignition on their Series1/1A?
Is it possible to fit a distributor from a Bullet to the Interceptor timing case?

Allan.
By Adrian
The spindle taper on the Indian Bullet "distributor" matches the Lucas magneto's. My bikes (singles) have BT-H electronic magnetos with the standard taper and 3/8" BSF nut, and Indian Bullet timing gear fits right on. Sounds like you just need the right sprocket and chain. The Pazon Surefire ignition is pretty much he same for singles and twins apart from the extra coil and wiring.

A.
By Marko
Hi, I've just read the above & find it interesting.. Taking things a little further: my Connie has a k2f fitted - manual advance/retard. Can I fit an Indian made distributor like the one discussed above ? The manual advance/retard on the bike has caught me out a few times..
It would be nice to have a bike where I don't have to have the mag lever just so to start and so forth
thanks
best regards Mark
By PO51UHD
I fitted a Pazon electronic system to my Connie and haven’t had to touch it since. Brilliant device!
By vince
Hi, just to clarify, I was referring to the twin distributor. The bullet type , while it will fit the case, the sprocket will not lineup. K2f type magneto have a thick spaced adaptor. Finally the bullet is not a true distributor, just a points housing with no rotor arm so a dual plug lead coil would be required. Vince
By singleminded
Thanks for the clarification Vince.
It seems that a Bullet 'distributor' will not work on a twin, so I would need a distributor from a twin.

I'm not keen on the idea of simply installing a used K2F magneto. From my experience, an old mag will cause problems at some point. Buying a used one and paying to have it reconditioned is probably the most expensive solution to my lack of ignition components.

A newly made magneto replacement with electronic conversion built-in is next in terms of cost, followed by a converted mag body with electronics added. Next there is the Wassell distributor replacement housing with electronics inside.

The cheapest option does seem to be a used distributor from a twin, perhaps fitted with a Pazon or similar.

Being a Yorkshireman, I think I know which way I will be going.....

Thanks for everyone's input.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles