This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Tomshayes1
Hi guys.. My 53 RE Meteor has been sat sitting for some considerable time.... Years in fact... Now it ran OK when I garaged it but now I have no spark across the points.. New battery fitted and nothing else has been touched.. The tank was drained when it was laid up, so new fuel is in the rank now... There is power to the distributor and I get a spark if I short with a screwdriver.. I'm suspecting the condenser.. Any thoughts
By Wheaters
You could try temporarily disconnecting the condenser to see if it's shorting out. If there's a spark after that, just fit a new one and try again. Obviously, the condenser is there to prevent excessive sparking at the points so don't run it for long like that.
By Wheaters
Great stuff. I've had many condensers fail over the years, on all sorts of vehicles. I've had some even fail when brand new, still in the box!
By Tomshayes1
Hi guys further to my earlier posts.. I have fitted a new pre Monobloc carb to the old girl and inevitably it leaks despite my tighten g everything above and beyond the call etc... I've tried using a bit of Well seal and the old ethanol in the fuel loves it. Has anybody else experienced the same and whar sealant did you use?... I think blue hylomar might be more ethanol friendly.. :D
REgards
Tom
By Tomshayes1
Hi guys further to my earlier posts.. I have fitted a new pre Monobloc carb to the old girl and inevitably it leaks despite my tighten g everything above and beyond the call etc... I've tried using a bit of Wellseal and the old ethanol in the fuel loves it. Has anybody else experienced the same and what sealant did you use?... I think blue Hylomar might be more ethanol friendly.. :D
REgards
Tom

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles