This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By 2codpete
Hi all I am new to the forum I have just purchased a RE 350 mid 80s model about a month ago it had been laid up for a long time it is backfiring and missing under load I replaced the condenser points look ok a mate gave me a used coil new carbie but no change what could it be oh I don't think its charging could it be a bad coil points or caused by no charge its is reverse polarity any help would be appreciated.cheers 2codpete
By Andy C
If you say that it is not charging, then it may be the battery does not have sufficient charge to keep it running. If it has been laid up for sometime then the battery may no longer be serviceable. If you have a battery charger I would put it on charge and then try it again. Do you know if it was it laid up due to a problem ?
By 2codpete
Hi Andy C i put a new gel battery in it and has plenty of charge to keep running it backfires and missers right from take off.cheers
By Andy C
How long was it laid up? - Have you tried a new spark plug?
By Wheaters
Have you checked the valve clearances, especially on the inlet side?
By 2codpete
Hi,new plug and no I havn't checked the valve clearances it starts and idles nicely only missers and backfires at high revs could it still be the valve clearances thanks for your response.
By Leon Novello
If all else fails, look for an air leak on the inlet or exhaust systems. If still no luck, light a small fire underneath it and go down to the pub.
By vince
Hi, check for a loose connection, it maybe caused by vibration. Try the ammeter as this may tie in with no charging. Vince
By 2codpete
Thanks Vince the ammeter goes crazy at times could that cause the problem with it backfiring?.cheers

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles