This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
Stinkwheel,

I think that's more fuel for the "they should have left the AVL Bullets as 350s, they were fine then" argument. Also applied to the pre-AVL 500 Bullets and any number of 650 and 650+ twins that started out as 500s, though as Wheaters reminds us even 500 twins can go bad. Think I'd sooner repair an Electra-X than sort that lot out.

bumpkin,

there's a dealer on fleabay at the moment with an asking price of £3500 for an Electra-X, that's what they cost NEW. :o( As it is I think you're being over-optimistic at £2400 (Norm, that's $4399 down under). Is it very low mileage, or does it have some valuable accessories?

A.
By Tim NZ
Internationally, the pre 2006 Electra X would seem to have had some hardening issues on the crank pin? 12 of the bikes came into NZ, and I have three of their crankshaft dead in my hall of horrors. :-(

The Electra X crankpin issues were not helped by a crapulent breather system that resulted in serious problem associated with water entrapment in the oil, and breather lines choked full of 'elephant snot' emulsified oil/water. It was not uncommon to have 100-200cc of 'water' drain out of the oil tank at Oil change time! Thats if there was much oil left in the tank after it had all been blown out of the breather, and/or filled the primary chain case and Air filter with the oil!

It is the same crank pin assembly that is fitted to the UCe, and their crank pin assy failure rate, in my experiences, seems to run at about 2%, but could possibly be higher???

A few too many UCE owners who do experience 'issues' seem to encounter their 'problem' when the motor is JUST out of warranty: 2 years - 20K. Though I am aware of two Big Ends that knocked from new!

Several UCEs here in NZ which have traveled over 100,000km with out any significant issues. but having said that, one had its oil pump fail not long after...

Tim, NZ
By Tim NZ
I have 2016 350 UCE Classic in the workshop right suffering from a dead big end. It is JUST out of warranty. Serviced by 'the book' from new.

And it is now coming up nearly 2 months waiting for parts out of India...

Cost of the repair is not much less than the bike is worth, as EVERY bearing in the motor has to be replaced. EVERY bearing! And the barrel and piston are significantly scored too.

ALL engine/gbox internals show evidence of scoring from failed roller elements having passed throughout the complete eng/clutch/gearbox. Even the starter sprag bearing has been damaged from contaminated metal laden oil splash.

The joys of bearing failure in UCE motors and the resultant need for a complete motor overhaul. The Electra X is a better bike by comparison?

Tim NZ

By bumpkin
Adrian, 8000 miles and got the highway kit fitted and a few other upgrade bits. Has i said not in any hurry to sell and if it never sold it would just stay in the garage.
By Adrian
Sounds like you ought to be hanging on to it!

@ Tim,

this failed UCE engine might be worth a separate topic and a few pictures of its own, if any are available. :o( At least the BSA unit singles kept their gearboxes and crankcase sections separated by the crankcase wall, each with its own lubrication.

A.
By JonHill
Had a very nice chat with Henry Price who reckons that folk slogging the engine at low revs exacerbates the problem. Let the engine spin naturally rather than replicating the Bullet 'thump'. He reckons I should just go on the Euro tour, whether I go for a new big end or not. What a nice bloke.
By Norm
Jon, is this trip planned before or after Brexit? Not sure what impact that might have on you decision, Brexit is a complete unknown as well as the big end. I got about 50 ks from when I noticed the noise till it was obvious it was all over

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles