This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
I think that the rebuild with decent parts experience goes to show that it was a good design let down by poor materials.

Are those pistons standard 84mm or oversize, Norm? I know we can't sell parts on the forum, but e-mail my spam trap address at B44EA(at)hotmail(dot)com if you think we could come to an arrangement.

Part of the joy of a well-assembled hybrid engine is seeing people's reactions...

A.
By JonHill
I have a 2007 Electra X which despite having had three sprag clutches in 4k miles before I bought it, seems to go quite nicely. I was thinking of undertaking a European tour on the bike, but this posting is a bit worrying. Please help me to decide whether this is possible or what needs to be done to make the bike as reliable as my 1976 BMW.
By Adrian
Jon,

the problem seems mostly to have been with a batch of crankpins on the earlier 2005 models, I'm not so sure that later versions have the same issue. How many miles has yours done?

A.
By Adrian
Jon, you might want to take the BMW!

For the Electra-X you can either undertake a pre-emptive rebuild with the best available parts if it worries you, or just get good European breakdown and recovery cover, load up and go.

I still have a soft spot for the Electra-X, as you say they can go quite nicely, or indeed rather well, but my feelings are tempered by experience, and mine was not an isolated example among the earlier examples.

A.
By JonHill
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. The bike has only done 4 1/2k. Would it be worth junking the electric starter;can the sprag be damaged by a kick back whilst kickstarting? I have loads of experience of old BSAs and Norton singles and would hesitate to use one of them. Have RE gone backwards with the Electra or should I just buy a new Interceptor
By Norm
Jon, the Electra can be built into a good machine but in Indian format it is very similar to a hand grenade with a loose pin, and no RE haven't gone backwards, they have hovered around the same level

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles