This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
I would just like to ad that as the owner of an Electra X with a manufacture date of January 2006 I draw little comfort from this thread.
By Adrian
The thing is, if the bike is a keeper you'd want to fix it it it did go bang. New EFI Bullet con-rod and big-end kits are fairly cheap, and they're a direct replacement for the Electra-X if the cost of the Alpha bearings rebuilt rods is prohibitive.

I wasn't trying to spread gloom and doom, rather to encourage anyone who wanted one of these to think carefully and be aware of the problems. I know of one Finnish owner who treated his Electra-X to a pre-emptive crank rebuild, only to find the original parts were still good.

Despite my original Electra-X doing what it did, I still (certifiably?) bought another because I think they're very under-rated bikes even with their known problems, which, as I said earlier, are all fixable. This one is on a '56 plate and the mileage is getting near the the interesting zone. When it goes on the road it will have sump magnets, and if the big-end fails I have a rebuilt crankshaft ready for it.

A.
By Allanfox
Absolutely Adrian, my woes have been shared but do think I am now almost there with the bike and I do like it, it seems to work well and I am confident in setting off for a journey , defo a keeper and not stressed about having to split the cases if need be at some point.

I am giving it this summer to impress me and if all goes to plan may strip it over the winter anyway and do the big end and mains (as I should when I had it in bits last time) with EFI parts and Euro bearings, it currently has an oversize EFI piston in it and whilst it drops the compression a bit it has made it possibly more tractable, with the AMAL and open downpipe it has good bottom end if it runs out of breath a bit quicker at much over 80 but is easier to start, a good thing as I have removed the pointless valve lifter (you were correct!) and now employ BWs starting technique and is a reliable starter, as I said a keeper that I plan to develop as I go along!
By Nitrowing
Look, I think my RE is lovely and there's no other modern big single that looks like it... but I want a bike to ride not fettle and certainly not rebuild!!
I want alloy rims and stainless spokes, adjustable forks with a brace.
Hollow wheel spindles and steering stem.
A front sprocket that is easily replaced.
An electric start that spins the engine without worry.
There's just too much that I expect from a bike built in the 21st Century that RE simply haven't bothered with. Stuff that other manufacturers did 20 years previously.
A bike is for riding. Being able to work on it is great, but having to work on it isn't.
By Adrian
Look, I think my RE is lovely and there's no other modern big single that looks like it... but I want a bike to ride not fettle and certainly not rebuild!!
I get that, and I think there was the clash of philosophies, you want a jump on and ride machine with just normal servicing, in India there were Bullet-fixing mechanics all over the place if you needed one. For a western market spoilt by decades of Japanese reliability, the prospect of what is seen as excessive mechanical attention IS a bit much. The 650 models show that RE India has been learning its lesson, though I suspect had they got this under their belt at least twenty-five years ago, the technical section of the forums would have been a lot quieter, with fewer Bullet and Electras being re-sold.

A.
By Jojje
Adrian wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 am
I know of one Finnish owner who treated his Electra-X to a pre-emptive crank rebuild, only to find the original parts were still good.

A.
After 30,000 kms after that crank rebuild (68,000 + total) My Electra has developed piston slap and head gasket leak...
By Allanfox
Jojje wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:19 pm
Adrian wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 am
I know of one Finnish owner who treated his Electra-X to a pre-emptive crank rebuild, only to find the original parts were still good.

A.
After 30,000 kms after that crank rebuild (68,000 + total) My Electra has developed piston slap and head gasket leak...
Shocking!!!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles