This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Peter 53

Ladies/Gentlemen,

I know we have briefly discussede this but I am looking at a new front end for my '99 Indian Bullet. I'd like to be able to stop with a decent front brake, i.e. disk... and I just can't get the TLS drum to work right, otherwise I'd be happy with it.

This will include new yokes, and hopefully the stem will be long enough to use as it is, otherwise some 'adjustment' will be necessary. Has anyone else been through this procedure? What went well and what didn't? Will I have to change the top and bottom bearings? The forks and yokes are off a Yamaha XS650, which I know was the same as the XV series.Any thoughts and cooments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.

By PeteF

Peter,

Have you tried new shoes? The originals are not brilliant. If the brake still won't play ball it might be the drum is warped. There are people who will skim the brake drum.

By Bob

Peter, I just installed a '77-'83 35mm XS650 front fork on my '98 Bullet. I bought the bike with a bent front fork as a result of an accident. You will not be able to use the original XS650 stem and adapt the RE stem bearings to it. The diameter of the lower bearing journal on the stem is too large to fit into the RE lower neck race, and there is not enough wall thickness to machine it down to take the RE lower race. I removed the originall XS650 and machined a hybrid stem to fit into the XS lower fork yoke and with a diameter to suit the RE races. Easy to say, but not as easy to do if one doesn't have a lathe or access to one. As I wanted to build a "scrambler" style Bullet, I fitted a Yamaha IT175 21" drum brake front wheel. Hope this info is useful. Let me know if I can provide further info.

Bob 

By Alan R
Hi Peter 53----Why not just convert your existing front to disc ?? Our hosts do a kit or maybe source your required parts from the likes of E-bay etc. I did exactly that a few years back on my Bullet Sixty-Five---required removing some of the cast-in lug on the L/H lower fork that engages into the backplate, but it wasn't difficult. At the same time I took the opertunity to change the standard springs to progressive and, along with the appropiate oil--ATF--totally transformed the ride, handling etc.  My current 2005 Classic 500 has a disc and I'm more than happy with it. If you are concerned for the classic looks then the TLS drum can be tweaked to provide a very good stopper--- just follow some of the threads posted previosly and the Tech. tips from our hosts.  Best regards---- Alan R (Not fritzboy !!)
By Andy C

Peter.

I would go with a disk brake conversion.

I spent a very long time trying to fettle my twin leader into a good workable brake, no matter what I did it would not work.

Disk brake conversion is simple and gives you a very effective brake.

Mine is a 2003 Bullet by the way.

By Peter 53

Once again, this forum comes up trumps!

Thanks for your replies... Bob, I would like to speak to you about this, so if you could send me a quick email to [url=mailto:chopper667@gmail.com t=_self]chopper667@gmail.com[/url] I will reply with my phone number.

Alan - are you the gentleman who gave me advice on loose valve seats last year? I did look at the disc conversion but it is out of my league, price wise.

PeteF - I also considered this, but to be honest I would rather a disc on the front as this has worked for me in the past. Plus the time factor means I would be without a bike for a while if I got the drum sorted.

I wonder if I could use the original stem and attach this to the new bottom yoke... I think I know someone who has one spare.

By Bob
Peter, I'm in the U.S.A, so email and this forum are probably a better option for communicating than phone calls. There's is a way to use the original RE stem in the XS650 lower yoke, but it will still require machine work. If the XS stem is removed altogether, the hole in the yoke in larger than the RE stem. I cut the stem off flush with the bearing race seat and machined the stem to fit in the part of the stem that was left in the yoke. Also, the top yoke will not fit over the RE stem without machining it's diameter down. All considered, it's easier to just start with a length of cold rolled steel. If you still wish to pursue it, I can email a couple of photos to you later.  as I must be off to work shortly.
By Peter 53
That's great Bob, pics would be very useful. Cheers for the info - again it was exactly what I was looking for.
By Alan R
Hi Pete 53--------If it was in regard to Bradbury Engineering ?? Then, yes. But it was this year--not last. 
By Peter 53
Alan - it was regarding loose valve seats and it was last summer, so it must have been a different Alan!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles