This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Creaky45
Scotty, That's where I bought my Mikuni and Tom from TD Hatrick has been most helpful but even he was surprised that my bike ran best with the standard jettings from the carby "off the shelf". He expected it needed at least a 240 main jet. The main culprit which made the bike run poorly turned out to be the needle jet as the one he supplied me in the tuning kit was a P5 and the needle was a 6F05. I could not see any difference between the 6F05 and the 6DP17 but I am using the 6DP17 anyway. It was the P5 that killed it. I now have the Q6 installed. As the Americans would say, "Go figure". Good luck Enfield Enthusiast.
By Exile
All this has inspired me. I have an old SU carb from a Lancaster bomber. I hope it will give me the extra 3 mph that I really, really, really want.

My question is, should I increase my tyre pressures to compensate for the extra weight? 😆
By scotty
Exile lancasters and enfields have a common problem, they have a habit of dropping things.
By Enfield enthusiast
The situation at the moment is that I have put in a 190 main jet, a 30 pilot jet, the slide is a 2.5, not sure about the needle, and it is still not running anyway near right, still far too rich. Getting to the end of my tether with it. Looks like more reading of the various postings is required. At least I still have something to ride, my 350 Jawa came through the MOT ok, we must be thankful for small mercies.
By Enfield enthusiast
The situation at the moment is that I have put in a 190 main jet, a 30 pilot jet, the slide is a 2.5, not sure about the needle, and it is still not running anyway near right, still far too rich. Getting to the end of my tether with it. Looks like more reading of the various postings is required. At least I still have something to ride, my 350 Jawa came through the MOT ok, we must be thankful for small mercies.
By Lyle
I bought a VM 30 for my 2003 bullet. It came with a 190 Main and 32 Pilot. Way way too rich.
I ended up with a 180 Main and a 27.5 Pilot and it's pretty close. I didn't mess with the needle.
I've got a short trials high pipe on it with a real short 12" muffler.
I also tuned the choke lever so it's towards the right side of the bike rather than on the left.
Hope this helps.
By NicoV
I see this is a very old post already. I recently installed a VM30 on a Jan 1999 Bullet 500. I didn't change anything in the jetting, but put the needles on its most economic position. The Bullet runs very beautifully with it, and the spark plug has the right color.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles