This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By sherm_des
Hitchcock's would be great but I cant justify the 180GBP (over 300$ CAD + Shipping) cost when all I need is a bushing and an oil seal :) ....
will have to figure something out.
By Tomshayes
Just put of interest would a 5 speed Bullet gearbox fit a twin... Meteor, Super Meteor etc? ... And no I'm not planning to do it lol.. Just interested...

Tom
By Mark M
Tom, no, not easily. The Albion twin box has a longer mainshaft than the Bullet so the standard mounting stud arrangement would leave the clutch too far inboard to work. I do know of a local chap who obtained one, welded up the existing holes and re-drilled them on the new spacing. He is very happy with the conversion. I like the 5 speed box, it works well and would probably really suit the twins, batter I think than it does the Bullets.

REgards, Mark
By Tomshayes
Hi Mark

So am I correct that it just the correct length Main Shaft for the Twins that would require manufacturing to make the 5 speeder fit?

Wonder if an engineer could knock one up? or possibly Mr H

Tom

By Alan R
Hi Tom---- I would imagine that a "One-off" bespoke job would be VERY expensive for you as you'd be carrying all the R & D and tooling costs along with the actual production costs in the purchase price...However, as the Royal Enfield marque has a world-wide following then maybe there might be 50 or so owners who might be prepared to pledge enough capital for Mr.H etc to consider the idea......That's of course ON TOP of buying a 5-Speed box in the first place....!!

By Tim NZ
Technically, the 5sp 'box will fit the early Connie and the Meteor Minors fitted with the scissor action clutch.

They run the same length mainshaft as the Bullet...

You would need to have a special Clutch hub/mainshaft adapter made to suit.
By binary
It would be a great conversion project. A modern 5 speed gearbox in a RE twin. It looks like others have done it so perhaps something has been put up on the web some where. As Alan R says perhaps one day Hitchcock's will make a kit or something to do this conversion. My 1964 RE with the old 4 speed gearbox was horrible but when I put the 5 speed box on it transformed the motorcycle. It is now beautiful to ride and feels like a modern motorcycle with the bonus of making the clutch action much lighter. I suppose that some RE twin motorcycle owners would not want to change there bikes from concours perfect but I want to ride my motorcycle every day if I can and so the 5 speed gearbox on my 1964 RE, who cares I am out there riding.
By mauri

the option of a 5 speed for the twin already exists, costly but it exists.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles