This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Ginetta lad
Mauri My engine is now finished but The box mods are still to do. When I cut down the gear shaft are the cut points exactly where the shaft changes diameter to get the correct bar length either side? I plan to leave a bit extra to turn a peg to center in a hole on the other end to centralise before welding.
I'm also a bit worried about boring the cover in the right place. By painting the gear shaft and poking it in reverse though the bush to hit the cover back I have a center point but it's not really very accurate? How did you find the center to drill the cover and get it central to the old bush?
I have bought a new oil seal and Bush to fit the cover hole but how did you fit them? Did you fit in the inside of the cover or from the outside if using a double ended gear shaft? Any more diagrams would be great.
By Gwilly
You say you're going drill and peg the cut ends before welding..

Is it not possible to drill the waste shaft in the same way and fit a pilot drill bit instead of a peg?

Then use as a line bore to accurately mark the case, more accurate than paint perhaps...
By mauri
Ginetta lad

the length of cutting depends on the dept available on the inner cover, and howe much you won’t it to stick out of the outer cover.

i get the cover drilled and bush fitted at a machining shop, they have the tools to center it correctly and push the bushing in straight.

both of witch is important to get it to function correctly.

the drilling was done on a milling bench and the bush was mounted with a hydraulic press

doing this at home by hand is close to impossible and will very likely cost you a new cover.

let alone drilling this size whole with a hand drill or even bench drill is a feat by itself.

By Ginetta lad
I got the use of a lathe at the weekend and have now made up the doubled ended gear shaft. I line bored it so the cut end located correctly in a 6mm hole. I have made a blanking cap for the old exit hole and left 17mm of bearing shaft on each end which is the standard length from the drawing. My cover is 16mm thick so it has space for the standard top hat bush and oil seal to fit if countersunk flush inside the cover with the oil seal on the outside. Another option would be to make a new straight bush for the cover. Using the original bush and seal will make a mirror image of the bush and seal arrangement on the original side which will be left alone but capped off.
As you say I'll find someone to weld the shaft now and line bore the cover with a 20mm hole. So nearly there now.
By Ginetta lad
All done now, a friend got my GB case bored 20mm and made me a bonze bush as the Enfield bush was a little loose. I hammmered the new pivot pin in and all seems well. We had to machine a little of the bush flange so that when the case in closed up the too parts clamped up just loosely enough for a tiny bit of endfloat.. I've e also bought a decent quality oil shaft seal fit the gear shaft as the Enfield ones ar a bit naff. My total cost was around £50 so all in all not a bad saving on buying ready made parts.
By Barry N
"Make sure you get a 5-speed with the later outer cover which has an angled inlet for the clutch cable, much less chance of damaging the cable"

I have a 2004 reg. Sixty-5 and am wondering if it has the later "angled inlet" for the clutch cable. Well it's certainly angled, just like every other 5-speed box I have seen. To confuse matters, the Hitchcocks parts diagrams show an identical end cover (angled) for both the early AND the later type, except showing different part numbers. So are they both angled, but one angled more than the other - or does the cable on the earlier design actually emerge from the cover flat?
By mauri

al the covers are have the clutch cable inlet angled upwards.

but the later ones are angled upwards and inwards.

less chance of hitting it while kicking.

By sherm_des
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie at this stuff...so please bear with me :)
my gearbox conversion was done in India... but they never installed a bush on the GB cover... the hole drilled in the cover is pretty snug to the shifter shaft and there is a small o-ring that has been installed. The gear box leaks, through the new hole... I dont think replacing that o-ring is going to fix it in the long run...
can I increase the diameter of the hole drilled and insert a bushing and then an oil seal?
Should I buy a new cover and try doing the mod on that?

The mod includes a bushing in the back so its a double bushing style but without the front bush (i.e: it is supported on both ends).

If I were to install a bushing what size hole should I increase it to on the GB cover? and what size (length and diameter) bushing should be installed in there?

Also what type of oil seal should i buy? will the one sold by Hitchcock's work?

i can add pictures if that would make things a bit more clear...

looking forward to hearing from the experts :)

thanks!
By binary
See if it is possible to buy a new 5 speed cover off Hitchcocks. I put the Hitchcocks right shift conversion on mine and they sent me everything including a new cover with the seal that you want in it. I have had no trouble from this seal or the conversion. You can not trust the Indians to do it right.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles