This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Ginetta lad
I have my 4 speed 92/93 bullet in bits at the moment and I was thinking of putting in our hosts close ratio second and third gears. But is a 5 speed box still much better than the modded 4 speed or marginally as the final drives are still 1.1 anyway? A 5 speed is also expensive compared to the 4 speed upgrade. I also understand its not just a straight swap so what other parts would also need to be bought or changed please?
Would I need new chain and sprockets too?
Just considering my options for now but 5 speeds from India are around £350 but with left change and a lot more pennies via our hosts?
H
By mauri

whatever you do to a 4speed you will never have the ridebility of the 5speed.

with my own bullet i had a 4speed(with the 200150 kit of our host and added the gearbox cover strengthener later on) till about 60.000kl, all dow i had very few falls neutrals and it functioned as aspect, i got tired of the clunky feel of it and the regular drop of liquified greases on the floor.

the 5speed completely transforms the feel of the bike, very smooth compared to the 4speed, the gear spacing is also much better, clutch operation is also much smoother and lighter(make sure you get a 5speed with the latter outher cover which has an angled inlet for the clutch cable, much less chance of damaging the cable), and nothing drips on the floor any more.

the only thing i regret is that i didn’t convert to the 5speed sooner.

you’ll indeed need another front sprocket and the following other parts, 550111 X2, 550116, 144624, 550145 and a clutch cable for a 5speed of course.

contrary to what you might read on the web, its not a direct swap.

especially the 2 lower studs of the 4speed are to short, if you put the 5speed on with these there is no thread visible at all hence its impossible to put the nut on.

if you keep the same number of teeth for your sprockets your chain should be fine, if the chain already has a high mileage i woud chance it to.

given its an expensive upgrade, but it completely changes the feel of the bike in any circumstances(for the better).

disclaimer: this post is not a commercial artikel.

By Gwilly
A 5 speed would be best if money is no object but in all honesty without serious motor upgrades it still won't cruise at 70mph..

Therefore whats the point? I decided that upgrading the 4 speed with the close ratio set and fitting the sealed bearings to run on oil gave an oil tight box and removed the chasm between 3rd and 4th.

Trying for a higher cruise speed i fitted a 19 tooth final drive sprocket which works fine at upto 65mph..

However what i didn't take into consideration was the change in 1st gear which becomes a little tall for hill starts, so maybe an 18 tooth may be perfect for A-B roads unto 60mph..

I've returned to cork plates with stronger springs and ATF and it seems to work quite smoothly...

By Reg
I don't know the actual cost involved in upgrading to a five speed box, except that it's pretty pricey. I would think it would probably be more cost effective to sell the four speed bullet and buy a decent sixty-five. I'm not saying we shouldn't move with the times, but the four speed bike is what it is, a quirky, old fashioned slightly awkward piece of nineteen-fifties engineering. A bit like those who ride them.
By Tim NZ
nineteen-fifties engineering and a nineteen-thirties design.

The 5 speed is far superior. And, you could mitigate part of the expense and realise a couple hundred quid for the four speed box?
By Bullet Whisperer
The 5 speed gearboxes are good value for money. We started with 4 speeders with close ratio conversions on the racing Enfields, but they were always somewhere at the back of the field, going over the finish line and sometimes even last !! Every missed gear meant someone got past our machines. The 5 speeders overcame that so well that, even against many 6 speed rivals, we were getting podium finishes and even wins at times and due to complaints, we were excluded from scoring championship points for two years AND had to start at the back of the grid every time and we still took podium places. The design of the 5 speeders is similar to the late Meriden gearboxes and pretty robust. I feel they could work well for other makes of old non unit machines, as well. That said, the 4 speeders can be made to give reliable gear changes for average road use, but they can be a nightmare for those who don't understand their workings. The 5 speeder is pretty much fit and forget, most of the time. Regards, Paul.
By Ginetta lad
Thanks for the replies. Apart from the box itself the other main expense is the right side conversion kit. Would it go on and work ok as is left side on My 4 speed. I have an as new 19T gearbox sprocket on now but won't that fit? I think the boxes from india come with clutches but will they fit my primary chain and sprockets? Anyone have a good reliable Indian contact for a new 5 speed box? H
By mauri

as you mentioned the indian connection i didn’t mention the clutch center nor the gear lever pedal and (shape of)kickstart, which is also different between 4 and 5speed.

but as you mentioned the indian 5speed boxes are delivered with a whole clutch(while you only need the center), gear lever and kickstart.

the front sprocket on a 4speed is an offset while on the 5speed its centered, plus the spines are different.

it simply won’t fit.

the 5speed gearbox sticks out farther also clutch side, hence thats why the smallest front sprocket is a 16.

any smaller and the standard non Oring chain will eat the gearbox casing.

its for the same reason to avoid a Oring chain with the smaler sprockets as the widder chain will also nibble at the gearbox

the gear change works as expected al do in a modern gear change pattern, 1 down 4 up.

your host have a kit to also to modify it back to 1up 4 down, part 90140.

By devon john
Maruri

i see you replaced your 4speed for a 5speed ,, i am about to do the same ,, i thought i had all the parts i needed but you say the bottom bolts are not long enough .

i have had it modified to right gear change as well to make things easier !!

just looked up the parts and the five speed are m8 and originals are imperial

did you get the right ones from the host ? or what ??

john

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles