This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By spech

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the old dual front brake compares with the Indian TLS? I have some experience of the six inch single drum (non of it happy!) but do two of them working in harmony equal the power of the later design. Given that the method of balance is so simple and, dare I say it, fail safe compared to the TLS - which apparently many riders seem never to be able to adjust properly - would you be happy to step down from a seven to a six inch drum and then double it? Surely the TLS, even a well set up one isn't TWICE as powerful as a six inch SLS. I'll be trusting my life to one of these dual brakes in the near future when my project is finished so I'll find out for myself. In the meantime I don't even want to think about the half width rear brake!      

By neddy
Adjust the TLS off the wheel where you can see both cams move, so there is no doubt it is correct, if you wish you can then measure between centres of the linkage to set or check in future, with decent friction linings the brake is good enough for a std. bike.
By Dennis C

The twin 6" brake is fine as long as it is still set up as Enfield designed it, IE the pivot which the lever is on must be free to float, also the handlebar lever type makes a big difference, if you fit the type that measures 7/8" from the pivot centre to the Whiffle Tree centre, (the hole where the nipple usually fits) rather than the one which measures 1 1/8" this increases the leaverage and improves the brake a lot.

I have a Super Meteor set up like this and it will lock the front wheel.

By p
I am sure that in many cases - despite how well we set them up - the balance is the critical deciding factor in tls brakes. Someone somewhere must have devised a method of self balancing, in principle it is easy using inner and outer of bowden (some BSA's?) on 2 levers but in practice it is harder to get levers in right positions.   Pictures would be good if anyone has devised such a set up on RE tls hub.......
By spech
Thanks for all your comments. I've checked the brake lever dimensions and the two pivot points are indeed 7/8ths apart, so thanks for that Dennis. Its just a pity that the lever is such an ugly bugger. If as you say, it's possible to lock the front wheel then that's good enough for me. I've been riding with a TLS for some years and Its never been able do that. You don't have a gravel drive way, do you? Cheers, Paul.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles