This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Harald
As many of the people here stated, the pillion seat on the Classic is too small for traveling long distances with a passenger. On my Classic EFI the pillion seat was fitted when I bought the Classic new from the dealer but after the first 50 km I decided to find a better solution. One requirement was not to have to modify the frame or any other part of the motorcycle and use original factory parts to keep the appearance of the motorcycle.
After some investigations, what was available and what would fit I decided to mount an original driver's seat for the passenger instead of the pillion. As no modifications were "allowed" for the frame or the seat itself, I made an adapter plate and two brackets to fasten the second driver's seat to the original detachable pillion mounting frame. All fist easily and the seat is very comfortable for the passenger. I will attach some photos of the construction.
By stinkwheel
I can confirm when a mate and I hired two of these bikes in Portugal, my Mrs (who does endurance cycle racing) was complaining it was a little uncomfy after about 100 miles. My mates wife nearly went on outright strike. That was all on twisty roads too so not like they weren't moving about.

One other solution is to put them in cycle shorts.

I must say though, I put a gel pad (cut out from a wheelchair seat gel pad) under the cover of my trials lycette copy seat. I didn't think it was doing much until I took it off and had cramp in my backside after about 50 miles. Prior to that I could do a full tank before needing a break. Needless to say, I've put it back on again.

I'm quite a fan of a sheepskin on a saddle too. That's what I have on my 350 bullet and my VFR750.
By Harald
The problem with the C5 pillion seat is not that the padding is bad, but that the seat is way to narrow. It is as wide as the rear fender where it is mounted. Together with the rather thick and very soft padding the posterior will not find a comfotable position. The small and high padding tilts aside when a passenger is sitting on it. As the passenger is constantly looking for a comfortable position he is slipping from one side to the other what makes the whole vehicle unstable while traveling.
With a second driver's seat installed instead of the pillion seat both the driver and the passenger are happy as the passenger's posterior has a well padded and wide place to rest. What you are describing is a different issue. It sounds like your padding is of poor quality and the gel pad will compensate the lack of upholstery, what is not surprising for a trials seat.
By stinkwheel
They lycette-type seats are a sprung steel frame covered with leather with upholstery springs and a thin layer of horsehair matting. It was more a comment that gel pads can be useful.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles