This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Enfieldnomad
Hello, I am in the middle of restoring my 1965 Interceptor Mk1. I just tore the gearbox apart and am wondering if the rebuild kit, 90117 4 SPEED G/BOX OVERHAUL/SEALED BEARING KIT, that our host sells for the Bullets will work in the interceptor gearbox?
I think it would be nice to update to sealed bearings.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Damon
Seattle, WA
2005 Royal Enfield Bullet 612 Continental
1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor Mk1
By Valsp
Hi If you have not seen it there has been a long discussion in the Yahoo Royal Enfield Interceptor Owners Group about whether to use sealed bearings in the gearbox or not. It might be worth a read before you make up your mind whether to use them or not
By Mark M
As Valsp says, there is a tedious discussion going on among the normally sensible members of the Interceptor Group! I always use sealed bearings when I rebuild an Albion box but I remove the seal on the inside face, these are easy to pull out with a pick as they are only light steel or plastic.

REgards, Mark
By Mark M
Forgot to say, I also have a 1965 (1966 model year) Mk1 Interceptor on which I have done this modification. Needless to say, it runs fine.

REgards, Mark
By Gwilly
You've done it now Mark, You are about to receive the combined wrath of the likes of Dennis C, et al, whom advocate the the use of TOTAL sealed bearings in gear boxes..

I've had this discussion before and i'm with you regarding the reservoir of oil in the now sealed box lubricating the bearings..

I've no problem with total sealed bearings on wheels as all sorts of road crud will find its way in..

Right having said that i'm off to the pub..... i may be gone for some time.. Tehe...
By Barnes
As mark knows i also run sealed bearings on my super meteor both sides of my box with the inner seal removed. I also run a sealed drive side crank bearing. Bike has done about 3500 miles like that and is fine. Ed
By Enfieldnomad
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am of the same thoughts on the sealed bearings. I will just remove the inner seal.
Now the other question is will the kit for the Bullet work for my needs?

Thanks,
Damon
By Mark M
Yes, there are differences in internal gearing and mainshaft length between the Bullet and Twin boxes but the case and bearings are the same. As is the clutch mostly which means items like the roller bearing clutch lifter and 5 plate clutch pack can be used, both recommended by the way!

REgards, Mark
By Dennis C
Sorry Mark, but I have to come and shout at you, Gwilly said so, so here goes, IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE SEAL OUT THEN DO IT, wow I feel better for that.;-)
By devon john
just stripped a bullet gearbox (i have a spair one) and ordered sealed bearings ,,,,,,,,,,,, now what do i do remove the innersole or not ???????

i think to remove !!!!!

john

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles