This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By TimG
This is not Allen as in Hitchcock...just the engineering axiom. In its simplest form it states: "If a component fails, there are always TWO things wrong with it". Well I replaced my rear numberplate/tail light/indicator housing over the weekend (the original was falling apart faster than I could patch it up). I carefully disconnected everything and marked up the wiring. All lights were working when I did this. I did all the work, reconnected wiring and...nothing. No indicators, tail, brake light, nix. Tests showed all the power feeds were working, so, logic states, it must be the earth side of the circuit. Three separate earth points, three separate failures at the same time? No way! Sadly, I should have remembered the above axiom. Closer examination revealed that, indeed, each and every earth circuit had failed in a different way, and at different points, and simultaneously....what are the odds of that happening? Oh well, one complete rebuild of the back end lighting system later and all is working again....SIGH. The worst part of all this is I missed all the good riding weather trying to trace all the electrical mayhem...>:-(

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles