This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By m1ks
Having got my 2000 model 350 bullet classic back on saturday evening and had a quick visual inspection I spent much of sunday checking over it and twiddling with things.

First of all, electronic ignition;
Theres a unit called a Eureka, (Mumbai), fitted to mine by the previous owner, it's a magnetic pickup type and my main concern on initial inspection is that the pickup magnet which slots over the cam has a bit of lateral freeplay, it's fairly firm but you can twist it 2-3mm either way.
It works currently so i'm not too concerned, just curious if anyone has experience of this system?
I have the original points setup if I need to return it to standard.

Compression, (cold), was 100psi / 7Bar which I thought was pretty good.

Spark plug was cross-threaded, with the tank off for better access, cleaning the threads and careful re-threading i've got the plug in square and tightening OK, only time will tell if it holds or if i'll need to remove the head and fit a helicoil.

The plug was a bit sooty but I don't know if this was a result of recent cold starts on choke or the setup, will have a better idea once I can give it a good run.
Gap was huge, this was reset to 0.5mm

Theres an air leak on the inlet gasket of the carb, (tested with the WD40 method and engine running), so will need a new one of those.

It's currently on a pod filter and aftermarket exhaust but I have the original filter and exhaust which I'll be returning it to, some pointers on the standard pilot and main jet sizes for the Mikcarb on the 350 and the routing of the rubber hoses for the stock airbox would be appreciated.

Tickover is a little erratic but that could be related to the air leak, also I don't know how consistent the standard tickover is, it's not hunting or racing, just a little inconsistent and runs on a second or two when the ignition is switched off.

Engine oil level is a bit high, not properly checked the gearbox and primary yet.

Decompressor assembly has been removed at some point so it has to be pushed with a thumb on the head, not a huge problem but would like to redo it so it has the lever on the bar.

Drive chain had way too much slack so have adjusted that and pumped up the tyres which were low, the tyres on are in need of replacement, the rear being very square, Avon front, Metzeler rear, would like to replace them with something on the classic tread pattern style rather than modern so recommendations welcome.

Battery was all but dry, the plates didn't look to be warped though so refilled with acid and got a reasonable reading, had it on trickle this morning then refitted and checked the charging voltage, was getting 14.7 on idle, raising to 15.9ish on throttle, typically at this i'd think the regulator was faulty though i've read in a service manual that the 1995+ models had a higher charging rate, 15.5v+, can anyone verify this or do I need to be replacing my regulator?

I think thats about it for now but i'm sure i'll have other questions as I go along.

Any help or comments would be appreciated

Thanks, Mike

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles