This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587

I'm having lots of trouble setting up a Amal 363 Monobloc Carb on my Royal Enfield 350. I have taken the Carb from another RE 350 that worked really great and was driven all over India but I am now having serious trouble even getting it started let alone ticking over. When I serviced and cleaned the carb I didnt make a note of the grove where the float needle sat on the set up on the previous RE before mine so i've been trying to get it right but nothing seems to help. At first I though it was running to rich and it was prone to floading so I lowered to float need that made the bike tick over badly with lots of smoke and when I pulled the throttle back it's very lumpy ans smokey. Now it doesnt even start and the sparg plug is not even wet??? On top of all this today I also bought a brand new RE spark plug today from my local Indian supplier only to find out half way through the day that it is faulty so this didnt help either!!!!!!!! aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh...PLEASE HELP!

I have fitted a pancake air filter and a straight through exhaust fitted with a 10 inch baffle. I know these carbs are great when set up right so I dont want to give up I just need some step by step guidlines on what to look for any where to set the float needle, air screw and, throttle stop screw, etc. All the jets have been cleaned and cleared of any dirt and there are no leaks on the carb. Im currently in India so I really dont have any local mechanics to ask so any info would be great.

Thanks Stu 

The needle is usually set in the middle groove third one down or up. The needle only kicks in at around half throttle so your issue is likely to be with the idle mixture screw. With an Amal its an air screw so the further in the richer. A good standard starting position is a full turn from right in. This will give you a position to work from. Get the idle position right then work out if it's rich under load or flat out which will be needle and then main jet in that order.
Stu, my air screw was too far in and I had the same symptoms of lumpy tickover and smokey exhaust plus very difficult starting. Mine was not jetted for the tea caddy airfilter either and was a complete pig, with totally incosistant symptoms. It sounds like yours just needs carefull setting up and perhaps re jetting for that particular bike. There's advise on how to set the air screw on this site.
Hello Stu_India -------- I've not long achieved Old fart-bag status so prehaps I'm missing something here ( apart from a filling between my ears, that is ?? ) If you are in India----OK, I know it's a big place----but aren't you sort of surrounded by Enfields ?? and the the local Enfield Wallah chaps who support them ?? Anyway---just adding a bit more to the other lads contributions----- if your plug is not getting wet at all now and it won't start , check-out the float needle valve is not stuck up thus blocking the fuel from entering. Fuel tap off----3 screws out and remove the circular side plate, carefull with that gasket now !! The float assy. etc. must be free to rise and fall. Do you have the "viton" rubber tipped valve or a plain brass type---they can stick sometimes. Sorry, can't E-mail you a new plug-:[ glum.  Good Luck

Hi everyone, thanks for your help, after taking the carb of yet again and mving the float needle up to the top grove the bike start pretty much every time. The only thing that currently concerns me is the white smoke that a coming out especially when I pull the throttle back. I must add that my RE has not been started in almost two years so this could have something to do with it I guess.

There are lot of so called mechanics over here in India but the old saying go's if you want something doing you may as well do it yourself. Im sure my bike just needs setting up with the Air Screw no t ocontrol the smoke issue and if that doesnt work it maybe a case of head off to check the oil ring & piston rings but his is the last resort. Thanks agin to Chris, Simon & Alan. Any other info you have would be great. 

I will do the following steps before I start my bike,

1. Air Mixture Srew one turn out from right in 

2. Fload needle on the top grove 

3. Throttle stop screw 3/4 in to keep the throttle a little open while starting.

Im not sure if this is correct so lets see how we get on. Wish me luck.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles