This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By NickG
Once again I appreciate all responses, My easy instant solution is to refit my old and tired battery the terminal posts allow reasonable clearance,and there was no arcing to the frame. The battery cover on this model is a pig to refit as I have H`s uprated TCI unit which sits on the outside of battery box and  wot with various cables it is a squeeze. Period repro cover? Hmm.sounds good, I will look into that. Once again thanks guys, I will research suggested web sites.
By Peter

Hi Dennis, I have 2 6V pos earth, 1 12V pos earth and 1 12V neg earth. Is there any advantage of fusing the 12V neg bike? (Others all have a triple wire from pos and therefore too much of a chew)

regards Peter.

By Dennis C

Hi Peter

I am afraid you have confused me a bit on your last post.

You appear to be saying that your three positive earth bikes have three leads to the positive, if so that would be three earth leads, normally on a positive earth bike you would have one earth lead to the positive and three supply leads to the negative.

The easy way to protect the wireing is to fit a fuse (I use 20 Amp) in the earth lead this works the same on pos and neg earth.

Any bike which does not have a fused battery circuit will be protected by this method, don't forget to put spare fuses somewhere on the bike just in case. 

By Peter
Sorry Dennis I got it the wrog way around, it is as you stated, by the way why did they change from pos to neg earth?
By Dennis C

Hi Pete

The early bikes pre 1948ish where negative earth but I think at that time most cars were positive earth so bikes changed to the same system, probably to save confusion.

It became apparent that car body rot was speeded up with the positive earth, so all cars and bikes changed over to negative earth again.

At least that is what I was given to believe, some things get a bit clouded with the passing of time. 

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles