This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
There is a dirclip that retains the clutch basket onto the centre. It's a big bugger but take it off and check the crowed row bearing race on the clutch basket. The flop doesn't matter as the clutch springs hold the whole assembly together when the clutch is assembled. Video is a great way of sharing info and now we are all registering perhaps the web masters could see their way to allowing hypertext or at least making it easier ( I have seen some in the past). 

Everyone, thanks so much for your 2p's worth!

I have removed the sprockets and found the problem. As a learning amateur I was the cause.

So, when I rebuilt the gearbox I refitted the mainshaft through the clutch center. I had lost the bearing that fits between the clutch push rods. I thought the assembly was to long and that was why the clutch rod was "too short." I knew nothing of the bearing. I assumed that the clutch center had not located properly on the dogs of the mainshaft, so I thumped it a few times with a pursuader (a hammer and a block of wood.) The clutch center is made of aluminium and I damaged it. It is now ridding to far backwards rubbing on the bolts that hold the chain case oil seal in place. This was the noise.

I feel like a bit of an idiot, a new clutch center is going to cost me £60 from Hitchcocks. But hey, this is how one learns I guess?!?! 

Thanks again, and all the best.

I also agree that hypertext and html would work a treat here.  

Well done Matt! You stuck at it and found the problem when others may have given up and called in an expert.

In many ways that's the beauty of Enfields - yes, they sometimes go wrong, but they encourage you to get the spanners out and get your hands dirty, and in so doing you learn so much about mechines in general.

Perhaps the lesson in your case is to hammer away at the solution and not at your clutch housing!! :-))

Cheers mate

Tony R

Hello Matt---- 2p ? ---I normally charge 10, but seeing as how I know you, etc.  Yes, I'd like to second what Riggers has said---- It also proves the worth of this forum as well. All that varied experience at the touch of a button, marvellous !! And to think I was only joking about that sledge hammer as well. Contact me on-----thegreatbear111@hotmail.co.uk--------- for info Re}--spares. ---- might save you some money??. Big of you to own up ----Respect  & much cred. Ride Safe.  Alan R PS-- Which county are you in ??

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles