This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587

Hi, I've recently rebuilt my gearbox and I am now left with this noise coming from my clutch. Here's a video of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoeCoAuz ... e=youtu.be

The clutch sprocket has play as you can see. Is this normal? (Obviously it doesn't have play when the clutch is assembled because the springs are holding it all together. The center hub of the clutch is very secure. Here's a close up photo of the center nut on the clutch:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ ... 9.jpg 

The clutch housing seems to be bedded on the spindle properly and the dogs all lined up. The primary chain is in line, the engine sprocket and clutch sprocket are lined up. 

I'm stuck.

Thanks again guys - you're all stars.

Hi Matt----are these supposed to be Hyper-links ?? 'cos they aint coming up as such---just straight print. Have tried the youtube and got as far as------KoeCoA then it rejected the u. The photobucket from last night (washer alongside ruler) I accessed by copying out in long-hand then re-writing into google. Took a while but worked. Any ideas ??
Hello matey---one of the probs. being laid-up with the 'flu is I'm spending too much time on this here computing thingy-bob !! Have a look at your on-line schematic diagramme and you will see that the clutch chainwheel runs on a caged ball bearing assy. Given the stage you're at it might be just as well to dismantle and check all is well. You do get a bit of play but that "click" or "clunk" sound was not part of the designers original plans !! As before---patience ( and that hammer is still available ----- ?? ) I usually whistle "Bring me Sunshine---" from Morcombe & Wise at this stage. Keeps me calm and it's a code for 'er indoors to stay away from the garage for a while---also the cat as well. Another tune that's popular at this time is}---- "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you-----------etc" Onwards and upwards we go---->---->----->
Hello matt. looks fairly normal. The hub looks firm and is not rocking, which can happen if the centre nut is loose, but check the torque on it anyway. The outer basket does tend to rock slightly on the rollers untill you have all the plates in position and the springs tightened up. Can you continue to refit everything and torque up the spring bolts? it'll only take about two or three minutes. Then try to rock the whole clutch assembly it should now be quite firm as it is sort of locked up as lump onto the central hub....just like you say...so probably all OK I reckon...can't hear any Graunching AT ALL!...sounds like a normal clcking to me....don't forget to put back the push rod.

Hi Matt,

I agree with Les regarding the clutch housing etc, but I CAN hear the noise you mentioned. Can you tell if the noise is coming from inside the gearbox? If it is I come back to my previous point about the adjuster needing slight tweaking. What you're doling in the video is spinning the mainshaft. I got the same noise from mine after rebuilding the gearbox.

Just remove the outer cover of the gearbox and SLIGHTLY adjust the Operator Plunger one way or the other, and see if the noise worsens or disappears. Obviously, if it worsens then slightly adjust the other way.

Hope it works. Good luck!

Tony R.

Just had another listen, Oh yes, a terrible clunking at the start of the video I missed that part, (sound not turned on enough at start) Deffinitely not right...See what happens after doing what Riggers suggests, he's fresh on the problem.

Matt-----here's an additional }--when I said "dismantle" I didn't mean the whole thing again---just enough to actually see  and check the bearing mentoned. We all seem to agree on the amount of play but the way to successfull engineering diagnostics is one thing at a time and not jumping to conclusions. Keep on trucking !!!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles