This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
A work colleague and myself got very interested in 3D printing about ten years ago and could see many exciting possibilities. Myself more in the theoretical side and he eventually bought one (he wanted to make small parts for a helicopter simulator he produced and sold).

I had a project where I was changing the engine and gearbox type in my trials car and wanted to fit a supercharger (which no one else had yet done). I needed a special adapter to fit an extra drive pulley on the crankshaft. I drew one up and soon realised that the measurements were critical because of the design of the existing pulley. It was going to be expensive to have one made in an engineering shop so it needed to be exactly right the first time out.

I supplied my colleague with the drawing, he converted to a file and loaded it into his printer. The next morning I had a prototype in nylon. I test fitted it to the project engine and thankfully it went straight on. Having proved the design was correct, I had one made in steel. Perfect!

Then of course I had to change the drive design due to other issues and never used it…. :oops:
By Nitrowing
I've been 3D printing for 10 years now.
I've printed indicator brackets for the RE, fan reducers for my car, dash clips, switch blanks, badges...
I looked into using them to make blanks for casting but casting requires more gear than I'm interested in investing in :?
IMG_20210820_114310.jpg
IMG_20210820_114310.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1063 times
(Ignore the cat hair!)
By Jamesy
I have seen one used to make a small part for a vintage car taking sizes without the original drawings.It lets the engineers know the fit before proper engineering production.
By Scalyback
Those rarely seen Maroon 1950's plastic tank badges, that would be something to 3D print…
IMG_3812.JPG
IMG_3812.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1042 times
By Nitrowing
Adrian wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:15 pm
What's that plastic like in terms of petrol and temperature resistance for e.g. custom carburettor flanges? I'm looking at fitting a push-on Dell'Orto PHBH28 carb onto a 350 Bullet head.

A.
PETG is fine with petrol. Heat would be an issue, above 100C it will start getting slightly malleable. It has to printed at 240C but I've never done a test to see at what point it fails after printing. I have printed parts under the bonnet of my car that have survived fine for thousands of miles though.
Scalyback wrote:Those rarely seen Maroon 1950's plastic tank badges, that would be something to 3D print…
IMG_3812.JPG
Printing a badge is easy... drawing one is a wholly different ball game! I have a basic 3D scanner but I've never really played with it. :?
I'd have thought that taking a mould of the tank badge and casting new ones may be the way to go?
By Adrian
PETG is fine with petrol. Heat would be an issue, above 100C it will start getting slightly malleable. It has to printed at 240C but I've never done a test to see at what point it fails after printing. I have printed parts under the bonnet of my car that have survived fine for thousands of miles though.
Sounds like a fairly chunky tufnol spacer could be needed for heat insulation, though in all probability I'd need one for the carb to clear to magneto anyway, if my old 500 Bullet was anything to go by.

A.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... 20mm/16820

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles