This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By John R
An item a but 3d printing on Breakfast caught my eye. Someone was making a combi spanner. But could you really 3d print a spanner strong enough even for our low-torque applications? If so it would be great, just print them as you need them. and you could presumably easily alter the software to make custom tools for difficult to reach nuts etc. Otherwise, I suppose their is scope for customising tank badges and things. More modern bikes will probably have a few spare parts that can be 3d printed, but the high metal content of REs militates against it.
By sofiaspin
I must admit I need a spark plug, and quite fancy printing out the new Continental GT.
By PeteF
Seriously, this technology is going to alter the way we do lots of things. Printed spanners are perhaps some way off but such things as bespoke badges and such are already a reality. As soon as they get the price of the printers down (and they will) there'll be an explosion of stuff being printed.
By Frank
I thought this was a bit of a joke at first, before I spotted one in the Maplin Catalogue for £700, albeit one that prints in plastic with a max size of 20cm cubed.Invaluable I would have thought for designing patterns and moulds to later replicate items in the proper materials. As PeteF says technology will soon evolve and it will be only a matter of time before the printing materials can be changed to match the suitability and strength according to requirements, or original patterns. No doubt cost will be prohibitive for a while, but you can bet some chain of stores will have the money to invest in the equipment and print according to customer's designs and patterns. An interesting subject, but one that will eventually take the fun out of the humble bodge and devalue the skill of the true craftsman I fear !
By simon
I believe that spanners and such are a reasonably easy ask for 3D printers. The sintering lazers just need to be the appropriate for the medium and Bob's you Uncle. The more unlikely thinks I read about being printed are entire houses and human body parts. There is a chap here in NZ printing out a DB4 Aston in a series of 8" squares that you can see on http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/videos/ ... ton-Martin but I'm not certain this isn't what my wife would describe as utter folly!
By Alan R
Hi guys--------- have a LONG, GOOD read of this, it's the way of the future}--------------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing -------------------------- extroplate this forward and we'll have the ultimate synthesiser a la STAR TREK for food, clothes, engineering (Human parts cloning in real time)---------------- but I'll bet an Indian made replica still won't last as long as the rest !!!
By EyesFit
I had an ifixit bit kit for other reasons, but when combined with snap on/matco drivers and offset bit holders, it's been a godsend for printer maintenance. Wiha gear is also very nice; I've borrowed some from coworkers and have my own kit ready for when the need arises.
By stinkwheel
I can see an application for unobtanium small fiddly plastic things like bits of trim and carb rubbers.

A superb medium for pattern making then produce in the material of your choice. There are even low-ash printing media you can use in the same way as lost wax.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles