This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ChrisD

Hi guys.  I need to replace the rear tyre on my 1996 500cc Classic.  That has 3.5" x 19".  The only "classic-looking" pattern I can get here in Cape Town is the Metzeler ME11 3.6" x 19" which is tubeless trye.  Can I use a tubeless tyre on my currently tubed rim?  Do tubeless tyres have the same bead to allow for that?

Cheers

ChrisD

By Alan R
Hi ChrisD---------Can't you find something suitable on E-bay ??  Yes, you can fit a tube into a tube-less tyre then put that assy. onto a TUBED rim----but ONLY that configuration--( Rims for tube-less tyres having a different profile)---- I have a 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing fitted with Avon Roadriders (marked as "Tubeless" and fitted by Central Wheels, Birmingham. I asked about the tubes and they were quite happy for them to be on. Since then Joyce and I have covered many miles at cruising speeds of 70mph (not admitting to any more than that for legal reasons ). with no probs. at all. It's also been through 2 MoT tests with no comments .Not sure how your insurance and annual testing people would view it though ?. I think there are now tubes designed specially for tubeless fitment (or was that to do with bias-belt tyres???-------- anyone??) Mechanically Ican't see any probs. for the Enfield though--- Hope that helps a bit ?  Best regards and any chance of having some Cape Town  sunshine , please? PS---does The Blue Train still run ??
By PeteF

Trouble is, tubeless tyres are not finished off inside a well as tubed ones. This can cause chaffing of the tube apparently.

It is not considered safe in the tyre trade to do this on cars. Don't know about bikes but I would get some advice from an expert if I were you.

By Yorkie

Hi CHRIS D. I agree with PetF the inside of the tyre will be heavily ribbed.which will rub the tube.

By Alan R
Hi Chris D---yes, I also agree with Pete F and Yorkie in respect of getting professional advice. The best we can do collectively on these forums is to relate our personal opinions and experiences. If I were you I'd go down to my local tyre suppliers / fitters and talk it through with them. At the end of the day you don't want to compromise on tyre safety, no matter what the age or type of machine.
By rog
ChrisD, Watsonian Squire, the UK importer, has been fitting tubeless Avons to most of its bikes for several years. in fact nearly all of the latest EFI models have tubeless Avon Roadrider tyres (tubes fitted as well of course). My Electra X did 16000 miles with these tyres and suffered no problems. You can get them mail order from Hitchcocks, the latest catalogue price for a 110/90 (3.5/19) rear being £71.50. The only draw back would be the fact that they have a modern profile, but it still proves the point that tubeless tyres are ok on Royal Enfields.
By Edward

I have just had Avon Roadriders fitted to my old BMW R100 and it has to have tubes. The Avon website shows these tyres as the recommended fitment for the bike. I very much doubt they would dare recommend them if there was the slightest danger. The fitment of a tube in a tubeless tyre will require you to cosider the tyre to be of the next speed rating down.

Regards

Edward

By Alan R
Hello Edward and Rog---------Yes, come to think of it Central Wheels did say something to that effect ( It was 2 years ago and I was 60 at the time) and to consider it as a tubed type in terms of puncture ie NOT the slow deflation you would expect from a tubeless. That's why I invested in one of those puncture prevention fluids. Which, if you've not tried it----works a treat !!  3 years ago---literally outside the Truckstop Cafe' entrance during the "Big Breakfast" event, the rear on my Bullet Sixty-Five went flat ( The previous week-ends repairs leaking--again !!). My mate Tim had a bottle of the magic fluid so in it went--as per instructions. We put in 200 miles that day around the Peaks and it was still at full pressure when I sold the bike 1 year later.   
By TP
As earlier - check out eBay as a source of information:- Item 360224394637

- and selling now will probably be quite suitable.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles