This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I should add. This shim was in my pot that held the assembly for the end cover peices next to the foot control plate and fits perfectly over the foot control operator shaft (where the neutral selector fits.) I can't see how this goes there though and as I said, it's not in the workshop manual schematic. 

I doubt my dad sneaked it into the pot ;) HaHa
---------have just seen the photo. Ah-ha !!  Is it stepped or is that  a mark on a flat surface ??  Just to ask again--- are you sure this is part of your dismantling efforts ?? If so then logic (or Mr. Spok ) says it has to go back in again---question is of course WHERE ?? (It's a motorbike Jim, but not as we know it ! )  Enfields and the USS Enterprise have a lot in common--- Boldly going where no bike's been before....We canna change the laws of physics--- always going forward ( cos we aint got a reverse ).---- not to mention "The Cling-ons".  Anyone any ideas ?? 
Matt,  I just completed the rebuild on my gearbox (1955 700 cc twin).  This washer was behind the main cover on the neutral finder.  It was the last piece put on the square shaft before installing the cover.  I could not see it in the schematics that I have either, but that is where it was when I disassembled the box.  Good luck.  Steve
hi alan ,the sealed bearings work a treat i got them from my local bearing shop,removed the inner seal so that the oil could get round no leaks at all ,i use 20/50 in the gearbox on the petrol bike because it saves buying all different oils (tight yorkshireman!!)same oil in all 3 orifices,all the best paul.

So, 100% confirmation that the noise is coming from the clutch assembly. The gear box is not stiff on the kick start anymore either, I guess it just needed to settle or something.

When the clutch is  dismantled the clutch sprocket isn't firmly in place, it has movement. Should it be like this?  

Hello again matt. Are you sure you have clearance all the way round the alternator rotor, you could check this or remove the stator and try to run the bike without it just to see if that makes a difference. Also check you have sufficicent primary chain slack at several positions as there could be a tight spot. Sorry if this has been mentioned before as only seen your question just now.. 

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles