This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587

So, the replacment of the layshaft's gone well and everything seems to be in order. 

The bike starts on the kick start but it feels very stiff and the gear selctor lever feels vague (although they always do, the only way of fullying testing a gearbox is to ride.)

When the bike is running in neutral there's a minor graunchy grinding noise coming from the transmition somewhere. This is obviously not good so I've stopped the engine.

What to do? What's the first thing to check?

(I loosened the neutral finder sprung nut and that helped a bit.) 

Hi Matt - with the bike in Neutral and on the centre stand can you hear the noise if you spin the back wheel? If so the Gear Operator Plunger (or gear adjuster, or detante - call it what you will), needs slight adjustment. you'll need to remove the outer cover to get to it. The adjuster is on the rightof the inner cover, about two thirds up.  Try adjusting it just one flat, and see if it solves the problem.

I'd say you're 99% there - don't give up! Good luck!

Tony R.

hi matt,though tony,s advice is good a grinding noise is not ,you say youve fitted a layshaft did you do this with the gearbox in situ on the bike or with the gearbox removed? i always find that if you do the gear box in situ thats best,i rebuilt my diesel enfields gear box last year it was tight and made a noise i realised that the shaft which the clutch pushrod runs through was not fully home when knocked into the box ,this caused stiffness and noise when turning by hand it took 3 atempts to get it right that was with the gear box on the kitchen sink!! i put sealed bearings in my petrol bullets gearbox in september in situ and it went back together sweet,graunching ,grating possibly means somethings not quite lined up ,anyway good luck these things get easier with experience all the best paul.
Hello grunda 12----------- so you tried everything including the kitchen sink LoL !! I'm cosidering fitting our hosts close ratio mod. and the sealed bearings as well. How straightforward was it and are you now using an EP oil with no probs. or leaks ??   Cheers

Thanks Tony. Thanks guys.

With the bike in neutral turning the wheel doesn't make any sound. After re-evaluation I think the sound may be coming from the primary chain case. I did mess around with the alternator and the clutch quiet a lot so it might be something in there.

I don't think the main shaft is a problem becasue all the casing lines up and closes nicely and the main shaft meets the clutch perfectly. 

I'm going to investigate it in the morning. 

---------of the washer that's left over. Place a ruler alongside so size can be gauged.  Seriously now---are you sure this is actually from the job you've just done. It's a trick we used to play on our senior apprentices -- you know, the one's who now have a little knowledge (compared to none at the beginning) and that was to place the odd nut, washer or bush in their assembly tray just after they had finished a re-build---in this case semi-automatic gearboxes for Army Personnel Carriers(Alvis). It makes you stop and re-think ---which is a good thing.  
Hello again Matt------ How's your nerves and temper holding out ??  This is a shot-in-the-dark but have a look at }-------parts book on-line // 2003 500Bullet(4-speed kick-start) // Page 21 Gearcase and Gears // item 22 Spacer, gearbox sprocket.    Was that replaced ?? If not that would give excess float for the sprocket shaft.   Don't forget ----" these bikes require a certain amount of owner-input, Sir" !!  PS --My brother does a very good line in sledge hammers. Just thought I'd mention it--- 

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles