This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587

The clutch operating rod is not able to push on the inside of the cluth front plate.

Obviously the rod's not shrunk so the mechanism is to long..?

The gear box end cover has gone on fine with the main shaft locating in the end cover bearings with no problems so the problem must be clutch side?

With all the clutch plates out the clutch sprocket has some movement forwards and backwards a few mm and when I put her in gear and move the rear wheel there's a grinding sound comeing from behind the clutch center and back plate assembly.

I'm at a loss. The clutch center seems to be mounted on the drive shaft OK and the clutch assembles fine with all plates fitting in the basket.

I've come so far and would love to be able to finish this job myselft. All help is very much appreciated. 

Matt, what parts have you replaced? Just so we can establish what's different! Next: are the 2 dished plain steel plates in the right way round? The inner one (nearest the gearbox,) should have the dish facing in to the clutch, that is, away from the gearbox, and the outer one facing in from the outside, that is, towards the gearbox. Hope that's clear! Is the pushrod in one piece or several short bits? If it's in pieces, there should be a ball bearing between the sections. Let us know?

REgards, Mark 

Additional: When I refit the clutch plates, and front plate, clutch cap and springs (rebuild clutch) the grinding noise disapears and everything seems solid and good... But still the rod to push open the clutch is short by a few mm. It settles flush with the ball bearing cap on over the mainsaft gear box side where it's normally prodruding.

Thank mate. I have replaced the layshaft only.

It makes sense about the dished shaped plain steel plates, I'll double check them.

The rod is in two parts and the end does look slightly dimpled as if it should have a ball bearing so I also thought that but there's no bearing shown in the schematic in my workshop manual so I ruled that out. 

Matt, I haven't looked at an Enfield clutch in years however on the basis that it worked fine before you did the magic dismantling trick, then it follows that something has changed.

Something is installed incorrectly, or has been omitted or a new component is the wrong size.

For example if the push rod is in 2 parts then a ball bearing is normally fitted. On some bikes a ball or roller is fitted between the operating lever at the clutch end and the push rod. Silly as it might sound, have you replaced the clutch cable, and if so did you check the length of the inner relative to the outer? Some modern pattern cables are useless because people often use a knackered cable as a pattern which then eliminates all adjustment.

Hope these thoughts help. It will be a "simple" case of checking and rechecking I am sure.  

Clutch pushrod in 2 parts needs a ball bearing between those two parts. When you dismantled the clutch very likely the ball did a disappearing act, how do I know? Because it has happened to me.

The parts book does show a one piece rod.

However a common (to me at least) modification is to split the rod & reduce one part by a few mm to accomodate a ball bearing after hardening the cut ends.

This lightens the clutch action somewhat

Ok, I think this bearing is my issue. My clutch pushrod is in three part and between the two nearest the clutch there are dimples for a bearing. This is just like it's show on the online parts book. In my workshop manual though it shows the clutch rod in only two parts with no bearing. I'm going to search everywhere for the little bugger and if I can't find it I'll pop down the road to my friendly bike mechanic and see if her has one.
Ok, I think this bearing is my issue. My clutch pushrod is in three part and between the two nearest the clutch there are dimples for a bearing. This is just like it's show on the online parts book. In my workshop manual though it shows the clutch rod in only two parts with no bearing. I'm going to search everywhere for the little bugger and if I can't find it I'll pop down the road to my friendly bike mechanic and see if her has one.
Hi Matt----now please don't think that I'm trying to be Mr. "Smarty-pants" after the event  BUT---------------don't you have a digital camera ??? My point being that any engineering re-build actually starts from the moment of dismantling and (in the old days) we made notes and sketches----bracket locations, pipe runs, etc. Having said that I'm the worlds worst for forgetting my camera whenever I go out and about. The other plus is that they mostly have a video function as well. Don't forget that the pushrod needs to be a loose fit in the mainshaft with just a slight smear of light grease. That ball is a little swine !! Yes--we've all lost it at some time in the past. Nil Desperadum, old son.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles