This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Chris [Stockport]

Many thanks for all the replies.  I shall try to attend to ALL of these at the weekend and come up with a good solution. Hydraulics looks nice but a bit expensive just yet!

Best regards, Chris

By Chris [Stockport]

Thanks again for the earlier replies. I have taken note..... 

Just spent a pleasant drizzly Sunday morning replacing the replacement clutch cable because (i) it needed routing properly; not over the top of the speedo and petrol tank and (ii) it had already started to fray at the handlebar end. Easily 3 or 4 strands gone. In one week or so!

So, I have filed and emery clothed the lever's slot, to have slightly rounded edges in case they were cutting into the cable. Very polished and nice. Greased both ends of the cable and the middle where it adjusts. Checked what the ends look like fitted... no obvious problems. Greased nipple on top of gearbox

I routed it, as suggested earlier in this thread, through the casquette, down the downtube (Between tube and engine, not in front of tube) and along the left side of the engine. (The bike's left, looking from the back).

It does sem quite nice like this, no sharp bends or anything. I just wonder if anybody else has done this: Did you use cable ties or anything?  I haven't used any at all. It seems fine, though just touches the engine fins when on full lock. Is this likely to be too hot or doesn't it matter. I'd be grateful for opinions.

Thanks, Chris.

PS I thought I'd destroyed half the wiring in the casquette in the process,  as the tails and brake lights didn't work any more. After a few complicated multimeter tests, earth checks etc it proved to be a blown bulb. Phew.

By Alan R
Hi Chris----Just goes to show doesn't it ?? Yes, those edges can be like knives to the cable inner. When it comes to bowden cables  I'm a great believer in ---a) Follow the path of natural flow and ---b) none or minimal restraints but leave them just loose to allow the cable toflex etc. If you want to see a "torturous path" clutch cable have a look at an early Honda CG125 K1 just where it fits onto the main downtbe near the exhaust manifold. And that's from a major player !! 

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles