This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ROCKER 59
At the moment my 2002 electric start 500 has 20/50 oil in the primery chaincase, would it be more beneficial to change over to ATF auto transmission fluid or is the 20/50 a better lubricant for the starter gogs and bearings?
By PeteF
ATF will be fine in your ES model. The down side is that, being tinner, it tends to leak if your chaincase seal isn't up to scratch. The upside is that it's supposed to help with clutch slip. Having said that, if you have no problem with 20/50 why change?
By neddy
As PeteF says, if you have had no trouble stick with 20/50, myself i dont belive that ATF is any good for the sprag/gears as they are mounted high away from the oil bath.
By PeteF

Well Neddy, ATF is thinner so it would splash up there more readily I would have thought.

Some people seem to think that ATF is not "proper" oil but the fact that it performs in automatic gearboxes (not to mention Landrover manual gearboxes) suggests that it's pretyy good stuff.

It doesn't have all the additives that engine oil has but then, it this situation, it doesn't need them.

By neddy
Yes thinner,so in my mind whilst its parked up it all runs off so on elect. start up there is less lube on the sprag than would be with 20/50 no proof but just my way of thinking.
By Edward
I have used 20/50 in the primary chain case of my 2003 500ES since new. No problems. It is the factory recommendation. As has been said if it works for you, why change? 

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles