This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ROCKER 59

Having had mostly old british bikes I always found them way undergeared and to do any kind of speed the engine would be screaming its nuts off, so putting a bigger sprocket on was a must  plus the engines seemed to last a little longer. On trying a 2003 500 bullet out I found the same thing, you where looking for another gear. I tried one at Haywards in Cambridge that  had an 18 tooth sprocket on it as oppossed to the standard 17 tooth but I found that it could still do with another tooth being added.  My bullet 500 is now fitted with a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket and the only alteration that has been done to the bike is the addition of a sensable exhaust system, less restrictive airfilter and a bigger  jets in the carb.  I still find it pulls very well in all the gears,  I am 12st, with my clobber on. Just thought some of you might be interested.

By Matt
I agree, I have actually found this on all the bikes I've ever ridden. I'm 9 stone so I thought it was just because I was light. My current 500 Classic has a bigger sprocket and it works great. (This is the case on all bikes I've ridden EXCEPT the 350 Bullet I had in India with two people and luggage for thousands of miles through the Himalayas. A bigger sprocket would have killed that poor bike!)
By Midge

I'm sure you're both right, I have an 18 tooth sprocket on my 2000 500 and it still screems its nuts off over (a genuine) 55mph, (indicated 65mph). As I have Mr H's gas flowed head, less restrictive silencer and a S&B filter I think it will pull a 19 sprocket on all but the worst hills. Something else for my wish list!

I doubt if it would manage if it was still in standard set up though.

By Matt
Where did you get the 19tooth sprocket from? It doesn't appear to be available from Hitchcocks. Is it right that the 500 runs 17tooth as standard?
By ROCKER 59
Matt, yes The 19 tooth sprocket was bought from Hitchcocks and not long ago. 17 tooth is standard for the 500.
By Matt
I just went an counted mine and I'm running on a 19 tooth already. I know that the previous owner said he fitted a new one but I had assumed it was the 18 tooth. Interesting.
By Chris REes
Incidently...the 'Classic' 500 has a 17T sprocket STD, but the Electra X has 18T STD, fitted a 19T to mine, far, far better, a good investment

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles