This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By John L
Can someone please tell me the original standard location for the igntion coil (and its method of mounting) ?
A pic. would be nice, if possible...
Does anyone have experience of converting to electronic ignition ? Bike has the original Lucas 15D1 ditributor.
By Adrian
Someone over on the Midland Bullet Riders' forum managed to convert his 350 Bullet (same year as yours) to electronic using a Boyer kit in the 15D1 body, I think that one runs 12V instead of the original 6V.

Otherwise the "distributor" off an Indian Bullet will bolt straight on in place of the Lucas item, this gives you quite a choice of electronic ignition kits (Boyer, Pazon, Tri Spark, Wassell). Most of these are for 12V though you can get 6V ignitions as well.

A.
Thanks, Adrian.
I was already vaguely aware of the Boyer kit, but question the viability of using it when the "distributor" has as much general wear as does mine.
I'd already made the decision to change to 12v, and so this would be no problem.
Converting to e.i. may well be a matter of Hobson's choice anyway as the original contacts are now total unobtainium.
Useful to know that the Indian unit will fit, and I may consider that route, particularly as it would enable me to retain a c/b points setup.
Now just need to find about coil mounting......
By Adrian
Sorry I can't help with the coil position, I do have a '61 350 Bullet, but it had lost the original toolbox/battery tray tinware before I got to it. Fortunately I had a decent SR1 magneto and auto advance from a '56-59 Bullet for it, this might be an option for yours too.

If your 15D1 is knackered but you want to keep it for looks, you could get it mechanically reconditioned and THEN fit the Boyer kit. The 15D1 is top of the types covered list here (scroll down a bit).

http://www.distributordoctor.com/distributors.html

If you're fitting the Indian bits, go for the unit off a later 500 Bullet which has proper bearings in it rather than plain bushes.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles