This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hello, I'm looking to eliminate a problem with my - Royal Enfield 500 Bullet Electra X - 2008.

Starts fine with Kick and electric and idles when warm.

The problem is if I pull back the throttle to quick it will stall, finding I have to go very gentle on the throttle when pulling away to avoid this.

Ideally I don't want to be thinking about this at junctions and traffic lights, any ideas where I can aim for to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Mine used to do this, think one of two things either you are not letting it warm up sufficiently (but sure you are) or it is running slightly weak, try adjusting the mixture screw (regardless of what carb you are using) so it is half a turn richer, you can always turn it back if no change. Also try a new spark plug, I have been amazed at the difference a new plug makes to mine and now am using a iridium plug for first kick starting hot or cold.

Oh and one other thing, weird as it sounds how much slack do you have in your throttle cable? I have just adjusted mine and left minimum slack as it did have a bity too much, made quite a difference to initial pulling off or throttle blipping, sounds daft I know but maybe a combination of the above?
Thanks Allan,

I will definitely look at those areas in the next few days and let you know how I get on. The engine is warmed up as this is when im out and about, good that you know what I mean, its not a major running issue just it feels on a knife edge sometimes that it will cut out if I just blap it from a stop, just a problem potentially if stalling at lights and messing about getting it running again.

Haven't had the bike too long around a week and pleased with it but think i'm finding out some Enfield character quirks.

Cheers
Geoff
Do you still have the original CV29 carb on there or has it been replaced with an Amal /Mikuni/Dell'Orto/etc.?

If it's original, you can check the the owner's handbook regarding carb set-up, assuming it came with the bike, or look on-line for the other manufacturer's tuning notes.

Whatever carb is on there might benefit from a thorough clean out.

A.
No, the screw on the left is the tick over, the one on the right is the mixture or air screw, the further out it is the more air you let into the mixture so if you are already weak (possibly) try screwing it in half a turn.

I think you may need to do a bit of carb tuning, it's the pilot jet bit on this, not hard to do but you need a good ear and conviction in your decision!

https://amalcarb.co.uk/downloadfiles/am ... _guide.pdf

The wedge washer is correct, if it looks right then it is.
That's our hosts' Amal Concentric conversion kit, I think the adapter flange attempts to reduce the downdraft angle of the carb from the inlet port, as the original carb manifold would have done, hence the need for wedge washers for the nuts to do up meaningfully.

As with any carb you don't want little bits of crud blocking up the petrol or air drillings in the carb body, which can happen quite easily.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles