This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By radicaldoc
hi guys i have removed all three bungs from underneath to drain oil.these are the plugs the small one is the side plug smaller head size and completly different thread size .the other two same size appear to be same thread exactly do these look right am thinking of ordering new set from H. but unsure if these are right can anyone confirm they are??
thanks for the help i don' want to order and then find out they are wrong what with the expencive shipping costs
Attachments
IMG_20220618_100043_edit_202654957756055_resized_20220618_100120670.jpg
IMG_20220618_100043_edit_202654957756055_resized_20220618_100120670.jpg (174.21 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_20220618_095141_resized_20220618_095210046.jpg
IMG_20220618_095141_resized_20220618_095210046.jpg (151.35 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
By Adrian
They look correct for a 1960 Bullet. 9/16" thread on the two gauze strainer plugs, plus whatever that coarse thread on your oil tank drain plug is, mine has the same.

Later Indian-built Bullets changed from imperial to metric thread, so make sure you get the right sort.

Hopefully you have already found the on-line parts book for this model and year, and the free download of the workshop manual.

A.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/p ... 0cc-bullet

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... o-Download
By radicaldoc
Adrian wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:34 pm
They look correct for a 1960 Bullet. 9/16" thread on the two gauze strainer plugs, plus whatever that coarse thread on your oil tank drain plug is, mine has the same.

Later Indian-built Bullets changed from imperial to metric thread, so make sure you get the right sort.

Hopefully you have already found the on-line parts book for this model and year, and the free download of the workshop manual.

A.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/p ... 0cc-bullet

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... o-Download
Thanks Adrian yes i had i also have a few manuals on them she is for sale...unfotunatly.
thannks for the confirmation of plug types.
By John L
Several problems here.
The reason(s) the existing plug is chewed : initally possiby from the use of incorrect size tooling. As stated by Adrian, the plug size is 3/8"W (18mm. A/F) . Secondly, the use of an inappropriate sealing washer - that fibre washer is way too big on the outside diameter, to the extent that compressed, it is obstructing the hexagon of the plug. This. combined with using a bi-hex. socket, could only result in further damage to the plug heagon and the difficulty you have experienced.
You have the option of cleaning up the hexagon of your original plug ( to a smaller size), or replacing with new.
Ditch the fibre washer and use a copper or alloy washer with an o/d. smaller than the spot face on the crankcase. Use a single hex. socket (or box spanner) with the end ground down if necessary to ensure that the hexagon of the tool fully engages with the hexagon of the plug.
The plug of my own 1960 Bullet is made of aluminium alloy.........making me extremely careful when removing/refitting.
By radicaldoc
John L wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:47 pm
Several problems here.
The reason(s) the existing plug is chewed : initally possiby from the use of incorrect size tooling. As stated by Adrian, the plug size is 3/8"W (18mm. A/F) . Secondly, the use of an inappropriate sealing washer - that fibre washer is way too big on the outside diameter, to the extent that compressed, it is obstructing the hexagon of the plug. This. combined with using a bi-hex. socket, could only result in further damage to the plug heagon and the difficulty you have experienced.
You have the option of cleaning up the hexagon of your original plug ( to a smaller size), or replacing with new.
Ditch the fibre washer and use a copper or alloy washer with an o/d. smaller than the spot face on the crankcase. Use a single hex. socket (or box spanner) with the end ground down if necessary to ensure that the hexagon of the tool fully engages with the hexagon of the plug.
The plug of my own 1960 Bullet is made of aluminium alloy.........making me extremely careful when removing/refitting.

thanks very much for the info. all the damage was done to this lot before i bought the bike this is first time i have done an oil change on it.. i will look for said washers and maybe have a go at resizing the head of the drain bolt and try to sort it.. thanks again everyone.
By Adrian
Copper crush washers (for the gauze strainer plugs too) probably ARE the way to go, they tend not to be too large on the O/D.

Who'd have thunk we would have got two pages worth of posts about an oil drain plug? S.I.G.!

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles