This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Jay Tee
Hi guys, I am glad that I found this forum. I have a weird problem, that I am trying to solve.

Here is my bike info first

Sixty five, 350CC, Made in India , 2008 .
Problem: Bike wont start on electric. Startup ok manually with kick
When I try to start this bike the Relay will click but Starting motor wont spin. I tried connecting the starting motor directly to the battery - Motor spins ( that means no issues with motor).

I tried replacing the relay and replaced 3 batteries ( thinking battery is not giving enough current) - No luck.

Symptoms:

1. When I press the starting switch - The AMPS on ammmetere drop
- I checked the voltage on the starting relay ( blue and black wire) - Without starting switch pressed - it is 12V. WITH starting switch pressed ( when I press the starting switch) - it drops down to 5V.
This shows me that relay is not getting full12V when starting switch is pressed.
It indicates that circuit is getting "earth" somewhere--- "if I am right"

I have replaced Clutch switch as well.

Can someone please advise their expert advise. If someone has any year of sixty five - would you be able to measure voltage on the starting relay input wires ( blue and black wires)
If the main components all work, the the process of elimination leads you to investigate the wiring loom, surely. I don't hold out great hopes for the integrity of older Indian wiring looms. Try temporarily wiring up the switch, starter, solenoid etc with fresh wire. You replaced the clutch switch, is the neutral light switch at the back of the gearbox OK? It operates in parallel with the clutch switch IIRC.

The Sixty-5 is a 500 Export model, not a 350. There was an Indian home market electric start 350, the Electra 5S, which looks outwardly similar to the Sixty-5 but apart from the smaller engine also has crankshaft-mounted TCI ignition. The Sixty-5 still has the gear-driven points behind the cylinder. The last of those were manufactured in 2007, though the importer still had stock being sold during 2008.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles